Prop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop question

New to the site here. Just bought a 2006 24V. Excited to get surfing again this year as we've been boat-less for the last 3. Love the site, already been given great advice on an amp issue from chpthril.

My boat came with a Fly-High Enzo type sac and hand held pump. I plan on running the enzo sac on the port side and an #1100 I had left over from my last boat on Stbd. I will fill by hand this year, then install a system in the winter. Plan on a suc-gate (probably a Nauticurl). Anyway, sounds like filing both rear sacs and using the gate will give me a decent wave and allow me to switch sides easily (2 of my kids are goofy ). Boat currently has the 537 prop. According to WM prop finder site, I could with a 1235, of 2079. Both are 14.5" diam. I've read other threads that say the older hulls can't run the 14.5. Is this true for my boat? Also, do I need to go as extreme as the 2079? We will boat between 5500' and 3000' (Lake Powell). We will do Powell 3-4 times a year so decent cruising performance (not top end) is also a consideration. I don't plan on more weight this year. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I know for a fact it’ll clear a 1235.
    If all you do is surf go with the 2079. You’ll have bottom end for days but your top end will go to s#$*.
    If you want to surf, wakeboard, ski, pull tubes, and cruise the lake without running at 4500 rpms go with the 1235.
    I run the 1235 on my 22VE and it’s a great blend of get up and go and still having a decent top end for cruising the lake. I boat in Denver (5280’) and as high as 7500’ and have about 2600lbs ballast before adding people. No issues hauling that weight surfing. The 1235 is an absolute beast at Powell.
    Hope this helps, cheers!

Comment

Sweet. I think I’ll try the 1235. I won’t have “max weight” until next year. If the 1235 struggles I’ll buy the 23.

Thanks for the reply. BTW who do you “drive” for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the boat is indeed an 06 Ve, yes, a 14.5" prop will fit. If the boat is actually an 06 V, a 14.5" proper gets real close to the hull. Both models were offered in 06.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Prop question

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          If the boat is indeed an 06 Ve, yes, a 14.5" prop will fit. If the boat is actually an 06 V, a 14.5" proper gets real close to the hull. Both models were offered in 06.
          Yeah, that’s the problem! It is a V (no transom “trunk”).I talked to Acme and they said it will fit, but buy it somewhere you can return it. [emoji849]
          if you have actually put /seen the prop on a V, with your own eyes I believe you.
          Acme also said a prop shop could “grind the tips down “ if it was too close.

Comment

Jackfly, my apologies. I read 24VE when you clearly said a 24V. I can’t say I’ve seen it on a 24V. I’ve got a buddy with an 03’ 22V that runs it in Denver with a ton of weight. Not positive about the shaft angle being the same as an 06’ though. I’ll update you when he gets back to me as to what prop he is using. If it were me with Acme saying it’ll fit and Wakemakers also advertising it’ll fit I’d go with it. Wakemakers is awesome about returning things if need be. I wouldn’t grind it down though. Kinda defeats the purpose.
            BTW I drive a Cessna Citation XLS for a small airplane management company for a living.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jetdriver; 03-28-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Jackfly-my buddy with the 03 22V was running a 1235 until he destroyed it on some rocks. He said it was pretty close but it did indeed clear it. He has an acme 1617 now. That’s a 14” prop with a little less pitch than a 1235 so it still gets out of the hole well.
              Last edited by Jetdriver; 03-28-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Jet-
                Sweet! I fly for an EMS company here in Salt Lake. We went with the CJ4 for single pilot. I wish we had a little more size like the XLS.jet.jpg

Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Cheers brotha! Nice looking bird! Love the simplicity of the Citation line. I flew a Lear 31 and 35 air ambulance for a company called Airlife outta Centennial airport (KAPA) for almost 6 years. Loved the flying but the late hours and crazy schedule finally ran me off.

Comment

I had a 14.5" 2079 installed on my 2005 24v temporarily but the clearance was a bit to close for comfort! Well less than the recommended. Even though Acme said it was a 'fit' for my boat, after installing and talking my actual clearance specs with then, they recommended a 14.25". I used it only once but thought I noticed some peeling of the sealant around the rudder that maybe could eventually result in clearcoat burn.

Still have it, needing to sell...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have talked to acme, and wake makers (lowest price) and both stated it would fit. I would think my clearance would be the same as yours, but maybe more room in the ‘06? I’m very surprised that acme seems to think this will fit
                      I will measure when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Xxplosive View Post
                        I had a 14.5" 2079 installed on my 2005 24v temporarily but the clearance was a bit to close for comfort! Well less than the recommended. Even though Acme said it was a 'fit' for my boat, after installing and talking my actual clearance specs with then, they recommended a 14.25". I used it only once but thought I noticed some peeling of the sealant around the rudder that maybe could eventually result in clearcoat burn.

Still have it, needing to sell...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                        It may be my eyes , but is your prop strut completely straight? A slight bent would cause clearance issues.

Comment

Sounds like this ACME dealer nailed from the git-go

but maybe more room in the ‘06?
                          identical hull in 05 and 06. IIRC, 03 was the first of that new 24V hull, but could have been 04. Lee, Talltige, xpjim or Teamallen would know.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Prop question

[QUOTE=chpthril;805911]Sounds like this ACME dealer nailed from the git-go
                            You know it [emoji16]. Acme was kind of put out that I’d question them.

So one more question for the Acme dealer, should I step up to a slightly higher pitch because it’s a smaller wheel, 1617 or stick with the 12 pitch in a 14” prop? Any advice?

Last edited by jackfly; 04-27-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Given the weight and elevation, the 14 x 12 would be the better performer. But, if you need to cross some big water, like Powell, at better then a sunday drive, the 12 pitch is going to have you at some high RPM at the 30 MPH range. Gonna burn some fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X