22 ve purchase help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 ve purchase help

I'm looking to purchase an 06 22ve near me. Looks to be in good shape. Its listed at 40K. Is there anything in particular I should look for, or any red flags? I have to drive half a day just to put hands on it, so I want to have my ducks in a row. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Put it in the water and drive it , fill all the ballast ect , check the engine for leaks, make sure everything works as it should and if the seller says he won’t put it in the water then there’s something obviously not right with the boat I’d also check the oil and make sure it’s clean and doesn’t look like chocolate milk if so motor needs torn down check the v-drive fluid level and make sure it’s clean and doesn’t smell burnt. Check the steering when driving it if it’s hard to turn it needs a new steering cable. Check the overall trailer condition tires aren’t weather checked and hubs aren’t leaking oil . That’s what I would start out with and also I would demand a compression test on the cylinders to make sure the engine is good. Good luck
    surf till u die.

Comment

Make sure bilge is dry before youput it in and check it after you pull out. Leave boat on the ramp and remove bilge plug. If it has lots of water then plan on shaft seal, or possible leak or elsewhere, but shaft seal is probably most common.

Also, some of these vintages cracked the plastuc at the dash around the screwholes and guages, so take a look there. Ive seen a few tower issues from this era as well so look it over for weld cracks and shake it to make sure it hasnt come loose ar the bases.

Just my opinion as well but 40k seems a bit high unless its SUPER clean and well maintained boat with zero vinyl issues, zero glecoat work needed, etc. Oh ya, and low hours. If any of the things listed in surf406 or my list then I would be beating down that price a bit. Hopefully you can pick it up for 35!
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-24-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

agree with freeheel that 40 is high.
        towers are the big thing that I have heard issues with.

good luck.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Thanks guys. The boat has been stored inside, has zero upholstery issues and is very clean. I think 40 is a little high too, but I think lack of inventory in my area is the cause of that. It has less than 300 hours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by tigeDJ; 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I pulled it to a mechanic and had them hook it up to a PC to see if any codes pop up. Cost was $100.00
            One boat had engine hour meter different than the computer and a disconnected alarm wire. I walked away.
            $40k seems high but it depends on area.

Comment

I just went through the process of purchasing a Tige 22ve so I'll add some things I learned in addition to what others added above.

I looked at a couple Tige 22ve's and built a checklist of things to inspect so that I didn't forget to check anything over (I often show up and get a little excited so things slip my mind haha). Make sure you test everything out when you're out on the water (bilge, navigation lights, interior lights, horn etc) because little things not working will add up and also make for good negotiation points. Make sure the speedset will set and adjust up and down (2006's are known to have issues), feel and listen to all the speakers to make sure the bass mids and treble is functioning (I found 2 wetsound tower speakers subs weren't working on 2 different boats and had cracked cones), check the voltage and age of batteries. Pull the floor up so you can get a good look at the tranny and remove the 2 sides panels in the v-drive lockers very easily to get a good look at the engine. Check all the fluids (oil, vdrive and transmission).

Good luck with you search!

Comment

Working...
              X