Props-3 blade or 4 blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Props-3 blade or 4 blade

In my search for my next Tige, I found that the 2005 24V that I am looking at has a 3 blade prop while my 2000 2300V has a 4 blade prop. Why the change over the years and is one better than the other for boarding and surfing?

I believe it should have a 4 blade prop. 16 pitch if a 340hp.

Comment

V-Drive usually have 4-blade
      Direct Drive, usually a 3

I had written up the math on how to choose pitch and size in another thread, or how to base a decision rather. Might want to search for it.

***edit***
      Found it
      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=prop+slip
      Last edited by spharis; 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

What is the gear ratio of the V-drives? Our 2000 21V could have come with a 1:1 or 1:1.46 ratio. The V-drive gear ratio is the biggest factor is determing 3 or 4 blades. Ours has the 1:1.46. I ordered an Acme 537 13.5x16 4 blade for it. If it was the 1:1 Acme reccomended another prop that was a 3 blade. Maybe the 2005 24V has a 1:1 V-drive and the 2000 2300V has a 1:1.46.

Comment

Thanks for help guys but I found a different 2005 24V that I am going to purchase. This one has the 4 blade prop.

Comment

I went from a 4 blade back to a 3-blade on my V-Drive. I was able to lower the pitch and gain some top end. It cavitates a whole lot less, especially under load.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Do you think the same will hold true for a boat as heavy as the 24V ???????????????

Comment

Originally posted by TigeDuner View Post
                Do you think the same will hold true for a boat as heavy as the 24V ???????????????
                I would think so. If you look at the pictures in my thread you'll see the difference in surface area. My dealer was putting them on all their new Tiges as of last year, including all their V-Drives. They like to ride their boats with a lot of ballast, so if they switched, I would think that you would be ok. My boat is pretty heavy also.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thats great information and something to consider if and when we add ballast. Thanks-

Comment

I'm thinking about switching back to my 3 blade, the 4 blade just does not seem to perform as well as my 3 blade did.
                    -Tip

Comment

i have a three blade on my DD and talked to acme and they said even if I load it up, Ishould stay a 3 blade, based on my engine and weight. Just a bit different pitch.
                      Originally posted by G-MONEY
                      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X