Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans to combat vapor lock?

Good morning,

Has anyone considered mounting electric fans in the engine bay to help with cooling and possible combat vapor lock?

My thought was to cut holes through the "walls" on either side of the engine, or possibly two on the starboard side and put electric radiator fans in place. A couple quick disconnects and wire it into one of the ACC on the dash... seems like it would be a pretty easy task.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Radi.../dp/B06VWR1X3K

Thank you,
    Sam
    Last edited by Samuelp63; 08-23-2018, 01:27 PM.

I had an issue with vapor lock on my old supra launch 20. found running the blower the entire time the engine was on eliminated the issue altogether. 4 years and 200hrs and still had the same blower.
    tige never had the issue.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Samuel what boat do you have? Ever since I added a second low pressure pump to mine I haven't had 1 single vapor lock issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
        Samuel what boat do you have? Ever since I added a second low pressure pump to mine I haven't had 1 single vapor lock issue.
        ^^^This. Pump as close to the tank as you can get it. Puts fuel under pressure instead of vacuum which will raise the vapor point of the fuel so it cant vaporize in the line.

Comment

Sorry, 2000 Tige 21v 5.7 black scorpion. I've had vapor lock issues since the beginning. I replaced the fuel pump recently and that made it a little better... but it's definitely still there.

Do you by chance have a link to the pump you used? Also, how/what did you link the power to?

Comment

First, a fan would have to exchange the air on the engine bay, just not move it around. 2nd, you would want an ignition protect fan thats intended for the marine environment. If I would going to go that route, I would go with a larger bilge blower and make sure the air tubes are intact. This includes the 2 upfront that should force air into the bilge while under way, even without the blower on.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Seachoice makes a kit. Google "Seachoice cube fuel pump". Part number 20311 or 20341 would work. Sierra has a universal pump as well that comes with a super easy mounting bracket that you can put right on the stringer. Part number 35435 or 35436 would work as well. Wire it in to fuel pump relay or just to splice into low pressure fuel pump.

Comment

I'm running a simple 4-6psi universal pump. Its wired off the ignition switch to a relay. Merc has a kit P/N 862264A 3 but its not very cheap, but works well.

Comment

This is what you need. Your problem will vanish.
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-...-/180811270634
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                    Seachoice makes a kit. Google "Seachoice cube fuel pump". Part number 20311 or 20341 would work. Sierra has a universal pump as well that comes with a super easy mounting bracket that you can put right on the stringer. Part number 35435 or 35436 would work as well. Wire it in to fuel pump relay or just to splice into low pressure fuel pump.
                    This seems easy enough.

However, does my boat have a low pressure fuel pump currently? I was under the impression it did not. I've followed the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump that sits in the box on the starboard side of the motor and only seen the one (which we replaced).

Comment

I am fairly certain that after the Cool Fuel (the black plastic box on starboard side) your black scorpion runs the fuel over the port side and theres a pump attached to the filter assembly just above the raw water pump. Yours may not though, dont recall seeing any black scorps in that old of a boat and maybe they were only running one pump in 2000. Most the boats Ive seen in that vintage had the 350 Mag MPI.

Does your fuel line leave the Cool Fuel and head straight to the injector rail??

Comment

I'll be honest i can't remember. I'm planning on taking it out tonight to water test a few things. I will check it out then.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                          This is what you need. Your problem will vanish.
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-...-/180811270634
                          There's the kit, I figured you probably still had the link to it.

Comment

My 2000 21v has only one pump.

Comment

Can someone describe the symptoms of vapor lock. I’ve got a 2000 2100v and after running, it get a little difficult to crank. I have to give it gas to crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X