2005 22v overheating!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 22v overheating!

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem. My 2005 22v keeps overheating. I have replaced the impeller, and thermostat. I have cleaned the tranny cooler of debris, I have checked every hose for obstruction and I have pulled the risers and manifolds. All seems clear. When I run my boat in the driveway it won't draw water, either from a bucket directly to the intake line or through a Fake a Lake. When I shove a garden hose down the intake hose water runs all the way through the system and out of the exhaust. The only thing I haven't replaced is the Circ pump(water pump). I pulled it and have it on my bench and it seems fine.
    I'm lost, please help!!!

Do you have a Marine Power?? If so does it have the Johnson or Jabsco raw water pump. Im probably mistaken, but I think that if you mistake one for the other there can be a gap between impeller and housing. Only other things I can think is intake hose collapsing on itself under vacuum or a loose hose clamp causing air to enter the suction side. Keep us posted. These are fun ones.

Comment

Silly question but did you replace the thermostat with the same temp. thermostat and not one thats rated higher?

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Do you have a Marine Power?? If so does it have the Johnson or Jabsco raw water pump. Im probably mistaken, but I think that if you mistake one for the other there can be a gap between impeller and housing. Only other things I can think is intake hose collapsing on itself under vacuum or a loose hose clamp causing air to enter the suction side. Keep us posted. These are fun ones.
        I have the brass merc pump #862914c, I purchased the impeller from West Marine for this part number. I guess I'll go buy a circ pump and see what that does.

Comment

Originally posted by maxpow View Post
          Silly question but did you replace the thermostat with the same temp. thermostat and not one thats rated higher?

I purchased the same temp that cam out of it. 160*. I've also run it without to see if that helped, no luck! It seems to idle fine, but when I put it in gear it overheats. I figure this is either from the increased need in water flow or Tranny. I looked in vdrive and double checked tranny cooler. All clear!

Comment

Originally posted by 22vmax View Post
            I have the brass merc pump #862914c, I purchased the impeller from West Marine for this part number. I guess I'll go buy a circ pump and see what that does.
            I'll ask a silly question too. Are you 100% sure you didnt flip flop the inlet and and outlet hoses at the back of the raw water pump?
            it seems like you need to solve your raw water flow issues while on the trailer before dealing with a leak test.
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-09-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              I'll ask a silly question too. Are you 100% sure you didnt flip flop the inlet and and outlet hoses at the back of the raw water pump?
              No such thing as a silly question Freeheel! I wondered the same thing, it seems logical but my pump has a larger diameter opening for the inlet. I would be able to get the other hose on.

Comment

I also wondered if I installed the impeller backwards? I put it in turning counter clockwise. I have the serpentine system and pulley turns clockwise. this leaves my blades turning swept backwards. I figured if I put it in backwards it would most likely flip to the correct direction.

Comment

22vmax can you explain the situation in a little more detail. Did the boat overheat then you changed the impeller? or were you doing routine maintenance when done the boat started to overheat?

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
                    22vmax can you explain the situation in a little more detail. Did the boat overheat then you changed the impeller? or were you doing routine maintenance when done the boat started to overheat?
                    Gumby, the boat was running great one day, the next afternoon I went to the slip and fires it up, drive about 500 yards and the alarm went off, overheating. Shut it down and got a tow back in. Pulled the tranny coolant line and found impeller fragments and a very small amount of grass. Cleaned it out replace impeller, checked all tubing and tried it again. Same thing, got a few hundred yards away from the slip running just above idle and it overheated. Got another tow in and pulled the boat, then started pulling everything apart. After checking everything I noticed that it wasn’t pulling water so I shoved a hose down the intake line and it expelled water just fine out of the exhaust. Trailered it back to the launch, fired it up, drove about 100 feet and it overheated again! Now I’m back in the driveway.

Comment

Gumby, the boat was running great one day, the next afternoon I went to the slip and fires it up, drive about 500 yards and the alarm went off, overheating. Shut it down and got a tow back in. Pulled the tranny coolant line and found impeller fragments and a very small amount of grass. Cleaned it out replace impeller, checked all tubing and tried it again. Same thing, got a few hundred yards away from the slip running just above idle and it overheated. Got another tow in and pulled the boat, then started pulling everything apart. After checking everything I noticed that it wasn’t pulling water so I shoved a hose down the intake line and it expelled water just fine out of the exhaust. Trailered it back to the launch, fired it up, drove about 100 feet and it overheated again! Now I’m back in the driveway.
                      How about the intake under the boat did you clean that out if grass was in there? it may even be up in the elbow?

Comment

Did you use a little dish soap on the impeller? I have herd of them spinning the brass inside the rubber if put in backward and no lube.I would triple check the part number on impeller with other sights on the web. I don't know if you have the one that needs the entire back of the housing changed... .probably not someone would have mentioned it long ago. doubtful it is the circulating pump. it would normally leak if it was bad. Not always but normally. If I was a betting man I would say wrong part, something up with the raw water pump. O ring slipped, sucking air, hoses on wrong, brass spun, I have found a lot of left over impeller pieces In boats that were not overheating. What kinda shape was your old one in? Just blown apart? or not that bad? I assume blown apart. If not can you check it against the new one. Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by gumby; 08-09-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Gumby, I’m think along the same lines. I put it all back together and tried again to no avail. It will only work hooked up to a hose, won’t draw on its own. The hoses can’t be installed backwards with this pump because the in/outlets are size specific. The impeller is in great shape, I had the clerk at the marine store double check the part# for my pump and he confirmed it was correct. I will triple check on the web now. O ring looks good. I’m at a loss. I will upload a pic of the pump in a minute.

Comment

Gumby, I’m think along the same lines. I put it all back together and tried again to no avail. It will only work hooked up to a hose, won’t draw on its own. The hoses can’t be installed backwards with this pump because the in/outlets are size specific. The impeller is in great shape, I had the clerk at the marine store double check the part# for my pump and he confirmed it was correct. I will triple check on the web now. O ring looks good. I’m at a loss. I will upload a pic of the pump in a minute.
                            Raw water pump.jpg

Comment

So you've checked off a ton of boxes. So there cant be much more. Since you are obviously handy I would remove the inlet hose from back of raw water pump. Then stick the hose in and clamp down on it a bit. Turn it on and backflush water. Should freely poor through the clamshell pickup. Turn water off and look at clamshell and see if any debris is blocking the pickup after back flushing. If nothing there I would remove the hose that comes from Vdrive to raw water pump and clamshell to vdrive and look for some cracks in the hose. Guessing the thru hull to vdrive had that big bend in. Look close at the radius and see if its cracked.
                              With impeller, housing, thermostat, and blockages cleared it should push water thru the exhaust while on the fake a lake. If it doesnt suck good water on it's own then it's hard to really move forward.
                              Other thing to do after back flushing is just pull off the outlet (pressure) hose at the raw water pump and fire it up on the fake a lake. If it pumps water out into the bilge then you've eliminated a variable
                              Since you had it on the bench did you end up replacing the circ pump?
                              Where'd you get the impeller from. I'm wondering if the inner portion on the double flat shaft is delaminated from the outer rubber vanes(same thing gumby was getting at)....its happened before. Rare but happens and that doesnt look like a quicksilver impeller.
                              Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-10-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X