Porpoising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porpoising

I have an ‘06 Tige V22. I bought it last summer and after a couple months, I noticed it would porpoise when going faster than 25 knots. The TAPS system wasn’t going below parallel at the base of the transom, so my mechanic fashioned a 2” shim to put between the metal wave-shaping plate and the servo-type piston. It seems to have corrected the problem and given me a sharper wave angle. In the up position, it is plenty high enough to not cause drag. Not sure why it wasn’t going low enough before, but the mechanic thought it was working correctly. Anyone else have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice on mine that its not a lot of travel for the trim tab to work. I have an 05 22v

Comment

The Taps system should go maybe 30 degrees below parallel tot he hull at most. If you're porpoising, you've got too much weight in the back and the Taps is running too high.

Comment

Strange...I would say all that mine move is 2". If its hydraulic type....check fluid? I've seen the electric type cylinders indicate on the gauge that they are moving and they really aren't. Some pin breaks internally and causes this.

Comment

mine doesn't move more than that as well- 30 degrees is only about 1 inch and Maybe it goes that much up. I have found that sometimes the system seems to stick in one place and you lose travel on the plate. Run it all the way down and all the way up a couple times and that seems to lubricate the system and it works better. but too much weight in the back and running the Taps at 5,6,7 will cause the boat to porpoise a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X