Original Owner of 2001 2100V LTD. Info for those that need it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Owner of 2001 2100V LTD. Info for those that need it

I have been leaning on this site lately and thought maybe a little payback to others who have purchased an older model Tige 2100V , or even a few of us who keep them that long!

First, This is a great boat. It's heavy- I learned this the hard way trying to pull it with a 1998 Ford Explorer with a V-6 when I first bought it. I ended up trading the Ford in for a F 150 (2002) which pulled the boat really well. Now I have a 2015 F 150- Pulls even better.
    The boat:

Very solid- no rattles - even after 18 years of use, mine is solid!
    Reliable- Mercury motor has been incredible. Doesn't burn oil and runs strong
    Walther V Drive- Keep it full of oil and it will run forever- extremely well built
    Shaft housing/fitting- make sure you check this annually and keep it tight. No issues unless it get loose, then you're taking on a lot of water.
    Hull- Super solid- no spider cracks- all damage incurred, I have inflicted. Trailer bunks failed and beat up the hull (2 times) .
    Gauges- Faria for me- all have been solid and no issues if you make sure the wiring is connected and bolts tight - go over the whole boat with a wrench and screw driver every year!
    Vinyl- i have redone the rear SEAT cushions 2 times. The backs have been fine, but the cushions tear at the seams. I had extra holes drilled in the base of the cushions after the first redo- as they were holding water and would tear. I redid them again about 8 years ago and have been awesome ever since. The bow and back cushions have been perfect.
    Tower- Well this is what brought me back to this site. After 17 years of use, it broke- typical break from what I have seen from Metcraft- but as total PIA. I just removed it and await the new tower.
    Getting the old tower out is a PIA. You need to take the seats out- there are access holes behind them. I will do a separate write-up on this project.

Performance of the boat:

When I bought my 2100V is was reported to be a 3 sport boat- Ski/surf slalom. I did mostly slalom and at 15 off and 34 -36 MPH the make is good- not great but good. I have ran courses with the boat- albeit the boat is too wide for the course- it pushes the buoys away as most courses are set up for 96 inch wide boats or less- but I was able to do 4 buoys at 36 / 15 off.
    When wake boarding, we find the wake is best with more wight in the boat. I HAVE landed back-rolls with no weight and one person in the boat, so the wake is FINE for beginners, but if you want to throw down, add weight. I run 450 in each rear locker and 600 in the walkway- the wake is firm, has a decent ramp and is very wide. Some of the best wakeboarders in MN have been behind my boat and have no issues with it. This is also a REASONABLE amount of weight that doesn't burden the boat too much. I run a SS OJ prop that''s 13x13. Works great and I have a top speed of about 42 MPH.

Surfing- I put 600 in the rear locker( usually 2 bags ) and another 600-900 in the boat right by the rear seats. we go 11-11.7 MPH and the wake is insane. TAPS is set on 4. too much TAPS and the wake gets too steep- This has been the magic spot for us for ever.

Anyway, this is a solid boat.

Issues;

Steering cable needs to be replaced every 8 years (aprox)
    Vinyl- didn't hold up at first, but I have upgraded.
    Tower- original will die- mine just died after 18 years. have a Krypt Pro Swoop coming.

This is a very good boat for a NEW V drive owner looking to get into something without a second mortgage. I hope this helps.

This is a roomy, well built boat. Don't hesitate if you find a good one.
    Last edited by Will5150; 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM.

Have the same boat but no tower. Great boat. I’m running 400 in each rear locker and 650 in the bow, taps at 3, ronix wakesurf shaper and 2 people in the boat and the wake is great. Long and lots of push. Problems so far, vinyl is going on the back seats and over the lockers, the serpentine belt squeaks a bit (replaced and checked alignment but no luck), the taps hydronic lines blew but that was an easy fix, there are spider cracks on the bottom of the hull (there before I bought it), but really nothing that bad has happened.

Best upgrades so far:
    1) fresh air exhaust
    2) perfect pass stargazer (ie the marriage saver)
    3) ballasts and ronix wakesurf shaper
    4) mike from mikes liquid audio set me up with 3 ballast pumps and switches - amazing

Every upgrade makes me love this boat even more. Though I agree, it’s no slalom boat...

Comment

Will, it’s awesome youve had your boat for so long. I hope 18 years from now I can give a similar report.

Just wondering how many hours are on your boat? We probably average 80 engine hours a year. That would put us over 1500 hours in that time frame. You do t see boats with those hours, for some reason.

Comment

I think I have about 800 hours on the boat- there have been years when we've used it nearly 100 hours - then there's been a few when i've had a hard time getting to 10- Like last year and the year before! I have always kept it inside and done all of the maintenance. I have had a couple problems with the trailer- burning bearings 2 times and lost BOTH rear tires on blow-outs in 2006 which tore up the fenders. But I always do it right getting it fixed. I spent almost $4,000 bucks redoing the brakes, fenders, leafsprings, tires, axles and wiring a couple of years ago- should have just bought a new trailer- but it's done now. I want my toys to work when I am able to use them, therefore I keep them in tip top shape.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Comment

Great write up! Of course I have the same boat pretty much so I am all about the model. Throw some of your best pics up on here! This boat is a great boat for the budget shopper. I love mine and take care if it similar to you. My trailer is beat up but it was an east coast boat for a while. About tilo make my last payment finally. Bought it almost 10 years ago. Had a small managaeable payment for this this long. I think I have 600 hours maybe. Looking forward to your tower thread. Cheers!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would love to post pics but this site sucks. the photo load is horrible - I can't even get a photo loaded without it being upside down and when I try to edit it, it doesn't work. I seriously would put my 2001 Tige up against any other boat of it's vintage - it's probably one on of the best, if not the best, boats of its age in the country. I'll try to get some pics out here- ugh - just wish this site was more up to date with modern web forum architecture. ( sorry - my software gook is coming out).

Comment

Originally posted by Will5150 View Post
                  I would love to post pics but this site sucks. the photo load is horrible - I can't even get a photo loaded without it being upside down and when I try to edit it, it doesn't work. I seriously would put my 2001 Tige up against any other boat of it's vintage - it's probably one on of the best, if not the best, boats of its age in the country. I'll try to get some pics out here- ugh - just wish this site was more up to date with modern web forum architecture. ( sorry - my software gook is coming out).
                  Haha. I hear ya... these boats are battle tested and proven (knock on wood- Murphy's Law is always lurking)... I have no reason to upgrade as I get the job done plenty well and still feel like my boat looks great too!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great wright up I know I love mine!!!
                    There is a feedback section you could make a suggestion there about pics.
                    Last edited by gumby; 08-14-2018, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I have the same boat, 2100V Limited 2000 or 2001, can't remember.

We have used the boat in Texas with about 500 hours total on it, so pretty light use. No major problems aside from the obvious - steering cable replacement, Taps pump and pistons blown O-rings (replaced myself), impellers (replaced myself every 1-2 years), oil changes, etc. etc.

Haven't had to trailer it in the last 15 years - try to avoid at all costs since our trailer is crap now.

I highly recommend a wake shaper for surfing - I just bought the Swell for $225 on Amazon. I have fiddled with weight for years and this thing was twice as effective.

I also just had to replace all the dash buttons, which was quite a chore, but not that hard once I figured it out.

I just posted a guide on it in another thread since it seems a lot of people are having the same problem and Tige has no idea how to help.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-2100V-Limited

Also, on the cushions, I highly recommend getting a super nice boat cover that has the air vents that breath and then using bungee cords to make sure its tight after you tie the ropes on it. We also put a 5 ft pole/ground stamper that stands upright behind the back row of seats to hold the cover up so that rain doesn't puddle on low spots in the cover. Mildew is a huge issue for us, so we keep two fans running at all times when the boat is covered to keep air moving. I will also put two bags of damp rid in it for long periods to minimize mildew. We have only had to refinish the seats once.

Overall great boat, does well in rough water, and really only struggles to accelerate if you've got more than 2500 lbs in the boat. I typically ride and surf with about 800 - 1400 so its not an issue. Perfect pass is a must.

Comment

OK, Gonna try this again- PICS of the 2001 Tige with new Tower!IMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1105.JPGIMG_1126.JPGIMG_1127.JPG

SOMEONE FIX THIS!!!! every time - the photos are upside down on this site!

Comment

Comment

˙sɔᴉd ǝɔᴉu ǝɯos ǝɹɐ ǝsoɥʇ uɐɯ

haha. but seriously, the tower looks pretty good, upside down.
                            this site always messes mine up too. I guess edit your pics, rotate them 180° (minus the one that is sideways, do that one 90°) and re-upload.

You're vinyl look really good. Did you do anything special when you replaced it?

Comment

First, I have TRIED to edit them, and even when I do rotate the pic, they still load upside down. I am a software guy- there is a read-error in the code base for this site that is not detecting the file image type correctly. ADMIN-- DO you hear that????

Now- the vinyl- I didn't do anything except buy the best quality I could find. I DID drill a few additional vent holes in the bottoms as what I found with the old cushions was water was getting trapped in the seats and when you step on the seat, you stress the seams until they eventually pop. Since drilling the hole- no more issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X