X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard to turn when running

Hey guys,
    2000 2100V
    When the boat is stationary, it is easy to turn the steering wheel. But when surfing, it takes a a decent amount of force to turn the wheel.... a lot more than 2 fingers. Is this normal as it is not power steering? Or is this the sign of a corroded steering cable? The wife is learning to drive the boat and I know what here comments are going to be. Thanks for the input.

Only while surfing? Are you weighted?
    In my old Nautique, when the cable went bad it didn’t matter whether I was in the water or not. Was hard to turn at all times.

Comment

I assume it is normal pressure on the rudder when surfing since it is fine when not moving. I run lots of ballast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first thought is grease the rudder. See if it gets better. If it hasn't been maintained, the rudder box could be worn out and allowing the rudder the lean which puts it in a bind.

If it doesn't get better, I would aim towards the cable.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Is there a grease fitting? I assume in side the boat? Any advice on greasing it?

Comment

Info from prior post courtesy of Chpthril:

Pull the port side engine/storage divider panel. There is a grease zerk on the rudder shaft.

Everyone I have ever greased has been tight and I got very little in it. If doing this on a new boat as part of the yearly maint. I feel this is normal as it should not need much. It's not like a ball-joint or tie-rod that has a boot that holds the grease.

I believe you are supposed to use non petroleum based grease.

Comment

My 2000 21 v does the same thing. I did grease mine but didn't help. i don't believe it is the cable. steers good with no weight fatten her up she steers like a mack truck with no power steering and a 9 year old at the wheel. so i am thinking rudder box for me.

Comment

I will grease mine and see if it helps.

Comment

I think it’s perfectly normal, personally. I had my rudder and box replaced along with my steering cable a few years ago. Even after that, it was great to steer when no weight was in the boat, but when sacked out it takes a little muscle. I always think that it’s a 19 year old boat with no power steering, it’s gonna take a little work. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The steering cable needs to be replaced. The last about 8 years on average. I have done this 2 times. The steering should NOT be tight at any point during running- if it is the cable is getting worn and it will get worse. It's a total PIA job to do, but not impossible. Budget a few hours and get your gas tank EMPTY!! If you do replace the cable run the new one OVER the tank, not under it. it will make your life a lot easier if you need to do it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X