22VE vs 24VE wake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22VE vs 24VE wake.

I was at the doctors yesterday, and was reading an older edition of a water skiing magazine. It had a boater-buying guide in it that covered every ski boat sold in the US. (Took about 40 pages up in the magazine) They talked about the pro and cons of every boat. At the end of each article they had a wake graph. It had the wake stock, and a second graph with it optimized (Factory supplied ballast, Wedge, or taps)

It was interesting to see how small some wakes are, but what I found most interesting was that a stock 22VE with taps set to 7 had a much better wake then a 24VE with taps set to 7.
    I thought the 24VE would be better as it is a larger and weighs more.
    They said both boats scored very high as family boats, but the 22 beat the 24 as a wakeboarding boat buy 20%.

Any comments on this, as I have been thinking of upgrading to a larger Tige.
    I have a 2004 switch-V now.
    Thanks
    David
    Tige, it's a way of life!

I think you'll find the 22Ve is significantly bigger than your switch V. I know it's only 2 feet, but the overall hull design and layout of the boat is significantly impacted by this difference (btw, I'm not slamming your boat at all).

As for the differences between the 22Ve and 24Ve, I suspect that the ideal size for Tige's patented Convex V hull is the 22 hull. Just stretching it 2 more feet probably made the rocker a little less sloped and therefore less affected by TAPS. Also, the incremental weight of the 24 over the 22 isn't as much as the increase in surface area on the hull. In other words, the bigger boat floats better (and higher) than the smaller boat.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I've always thought that the 22 foot range was the best spot to be in for Wakeboarding wakes.

As dog points out, I think it takes too much weight to sink the 24V's. Or at least more than I am going to put in one. I would imagine you could load it as heavily as you wanted.

Make no mistake about it, the 24 footers are big big boats, with 102" beam they are roomy.
      "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

In other words, wake size is determined by weight and surface area on the water. The surface area of the 24Ve is substantially more, but the weight is not as much more. The heaviest thing in the boat is the engine.

Unless you are a world class rider, the 24Ve will offer more wake than you can outgrow, and will have the benefit of the huge roominess.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

My family just bought an 07 24Ve and I don't think you can go wrong with the 24Ve wake. I am a fairly serious wakeboarder and run about 2000 lbs of sacs in the boat and I would be hard pressed to find a better wake anywhere. I have not rode behind a 22Ve but I know our boats wake is amazing. Plus the 24Ve is probably the roomiest boat on the market. It can easily hold 15 people comfortably. Either way you can't go wrong though.

Comment

I'd guess you must be pretty good to be concerned about the difference between the two.

I went 24 for big water days at Lake Havasu and Powell.

But you cannot fit a 24 in a garage!

Comment

Originally posted by Wake Havasu
              I'd guess you must be pretty good to be concerned about the difference between the two.

Me
              No
              The wake on my 20-foot boat makes me think twice.
              But my 16-year-old son, now that’s a different story.

The article that I read had the wake from a stock 22VE set to taps 7 matching the wake of a X80 with 1900lbs of ballast. where the 24VE did not really come that close.

I will see if I can find the magazine and post the two graphs.

Thanks
              For all the input.
              David
              Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

We have a 2006 24ve and I also ride behind a 2006 22ve. The wakes are very similar when weighted. We run about 1500lbs. in our 24ve, we are upgrading to over 2000lbs. for next season. The 22ve I ride behind has about 2000lbs in it. I would say the wake was the same, so in my opinion you will need a little less weight in the 24ve to get the same wake size as a more heavily weighted 22ve.

The surf wakes behind both boats are just huge.

The 24 feels huge compared to the 22 as far as interior room. That 2 feet makes a huge difference if you have 6-8 people in the boat.

Comment

AK,

How much weight are you putting in the bow? I have found that my U-shaped sack under the seats up there is really pretty puny, I guess it gets 300 pounds. If I put 600 up there my wake gets ginormous, even with very little extra weight in the back. I am thinking Lead, but wondered if you have any secret way of getting more up there. I don't want to have to trailer with lead in the front (hence lead on my hitch and on the rear suspension of the tow vehicle.)

I was even considering putting a T off of the ballast system to automatically be able to fill an extra sack in the walkway when I am feeling brave. Putting a T on the drain would be a different problem, I would have to go back to dumping over the side.
                  Be excellent to one another.

Comment

talltigeguy

the best way besides lead is to do just that, get a separate bag and put it in the walkway, it will fill in about the same time as the other ballast. because the tiges are so heavy, and especially heavy in the rear of the boat, extra weight is necessary up front compared to another brand of boat

Comment

Tall,

We don't use that U shaped bag. We have 2 sacs in the front, they don't fill all the way because of space. I think those sacs probably get fill to about 450-500 lbs. total. Our rear sacs are both about 500, so that is how we get 1500lbs. I am going to put 750# bags in the rear lockers to get more weight. I also thought of adding the 100 fly high fat brick to each middle compartment. You could put a T in and run another bag in the walkway, that is what they do on the 22ve that I ride behind. I just hate having bags in the walkway. Personally, I would put about 300-400 pounds of lead in the front with the sacs. I am looking at that option also.

Epic boats is onto something, building that chamber system under the floor. THis allows for a ton more weight with less impingement on space above the floor.

Comment

Working...
                      X