Can someone please enlightin me on how ****ed am I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please enlightin me on how ****ed am I

So took the boat out this weekend (03 22v) and everything felt fine for a few hours.

Then I started to feel what I thought was cavitation, but I wasn't turning or anything. I know now, I should have packed up the kids and headed back to the dock right then. But I keep going for maybe a extra 30 mins before it became very clear that I needed to get off the water ASAP. Started to head back to the dock, up on plane doing about 28mph and it would shutter/sputter then stated to do it more often as time went on. I shut off and checked the engine, saw water in the bulge and what I am sure was red oil (transmission fluid) in it also.

Now where we where at there were not many boats, maybe one every 20 mins and no cell phone service. They were small fishing boats, and even then none of them saw me trying to flag them down for help. Didn't feel like I had much of a choice, so I just keep on chugging along at about 8mph and even then it would shutter/sputter so I just keep slowing down more, we finally reached cell service, got the local sheriff to tow us the last 3 miles back to the dock.

Once on the trailer I was checking the boat out, and checked the transmission fluid. It was full on the dip stick, but it was fairly clear, pinkish color.

Gonna get the local guy on the phone tomorrow and try to get a spot for service, but in the mean time anything I can look at to try and narrow it down? If you need more info just ask I am just trying to soak it all in and trying to put everything down.

Thanks in Advance

Techna

Sounds like you got a cracked trans-cooler and has leaked water into the system, hopefully.....you didnt kill the clutch pack in the trans running in on water. be ready to flush that trans at least 4-5 times to get all the water out of the system.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

When you say that your trans fluid was “pinkish” are you meaning like a pepto bismol pink or just like thinned our trans fluid? If it’s pepto bismol pink then it looks like it’s time for a rebuild of the trans. Water intrusion into any automatic type transmission causes aggressive and premature wear of the frictions and often times glazes over the steel plates. Sounds like thegerman is probably correct about the cooler. If it is water intrusion then that shuddering was the plates in the transmission failing to grip and spin in the same way the clutch on a manual transmission shudders when it is going out. It is possible you could get by with flushing it several times but don’t bet the farm on it. Be prepared for the worst and if you luck out then I’d definitely take care of it in the off season

Comment

Originally posted by Creekrat View Post
        When you say that your trans fluid was “pinkish” are you meaning like a pepto bismol pink or just like thinned our trans fluid?
        More a water down pink, defiantly not pepto bismol

After talking to a few shops looks like I'm gonna be out of water for a few months. My preferred shop is July 10th before I can get in, waiting to hear from another shop on time frame but I'm expecting to be out for most the summer....

Comment

Originally posted by Techna22v View Post
          More a water down pink, defiantly not pepto bismol

After talking to a few shops looks like I'm gonna be out of water for a few months. My preferred shop is July 10th before I can get in, waiting to hear from another shop on time frame but I'm expecting to be out for most the summer....
          I wouldn't wait to get that water out of the trans (if you haven't already). I would try to figure out what failed first before I took it into the shop - if its the cooler, that's an easy job. Change the oil a few times and see what it does. You may luck out...

Comment

I got lucky and gonna take it to a shop on Monday, I may still have a summer on the water....

Comment

Just thought I would update this as I have finally got a answer. The transmission is gone, needs to be replaced/rebuilt, just got the news this afternoon so its still sinking in.

Any help as to places that I could look at for replacement/repair?

Comment

Sorry to hear that... I am sure someone here has a suggestion for you.

Comment

I keep throwing his name out and haven't gotten yelled at yet. Mike at Harbor Marine in Everett WA is top notch. They aren't a terribly complicated unit to rebuild so you could go a few different ways. Get a rebuild kit from Mike and have it done locally. Buy a rebuilt from them and send them your as a core(probably the fastest in regards to getting you on the water). Or send yours up there and have it rebuilt and then get it back in.
                  I've taken to just getting remans from him as it's less labor time at our shop rate to rebuild it on the bench. It's actually cheaper to rebuild it but we just dont have the time to eat up as a shop so it makes more sense to do the remans and move onto the next boat. Haven't had an issue with anything weve bought from him yet (have bought a couple of the combo trans/vdrive ZF boxes that are in MCs from him and they've been good as well).

Comment

Not sure if this is the model you need, but is the place to get it from. I got the link from another thread.
                    http://www.halemarine.com/index.php?...bob20nukkaj732
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I flooded my boat and water found its way in to the V drive and I had the same symptoms!

Comment

Working...
                      X