Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 20v No Elec Power at ignition or dash

Hi everyone.
    When I removed my seized alternator I didn't disconnect the battery. A couple of the live wires touched the alternator housing as I removed and there were a few sparks. Nothing major and I didn't think too much of it at the time but I did disconnect the battery after that more so for the drive home from the lake.
    Anyway have installed new alt and belt and now have no power at ignition or dash.
    I have 12v at starter motor from red cable.
    Stereo has power to amp but won't turn on. It gets power direct from battery on separate cables..
    Online says power to ignition comes through engine. Is there a fuse on the engine or under dash.
    The small block which I am assuming is the 90 amp fuse on main red cable near battery has continuity.
    I think is just a fuse but where is it, I can't find it.
    Im trying to avoid a callout just for a fuse.
    Can anyone help?

Cheers
    Tony

If its a Merc theres a big main fuse down on the starter B+ terminal. If its toasted then nothing works usually.

Comment

The fuse looks like a 3/4" white cube directly off the battery connection to the starter. Mercruiser part number #88-79023A91, roughly $33.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Hi guys.
        It was the 40 amp circuit breaker right near the battery on the ignition circuit that was faulty. It was badly corroded and giving a false reading when checking continuity.
        Thanks
        Tony

Comment

Glad that got you going. Thanks for checking back with the solution. This is why I have almost given up on continuity testing. A wire van still have continuity but very little ability to move any kind of amps/volts. I have a long lead that I clip at battery ground then start moving thru the boat with positive lead on tester. So much better IMO.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-25-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Hey experts, 21i 2006. Wiring gremlins all over. Previous owner had dual battery cut-off switches installed. First time I took it out, no alternator. Found alt output wire hanging on post w/ no bolt! But, with the normal wiring on the alternator, there is what looks like an output wire in the bilge that's taped off. Doesn't seem to matter, alternator seems to work normal

... but the stereo is wired to the cranking battery, not sure about other accessories. Also, there is a constant draw on the cranking batt even with the battery switch off.

The most annoying problem is my Commander Speedo / Depth Sounder is intermittant. Sometimes it works perfect, but over half the time, nothing except an intermittant warning beep. Funny, but the Tige speed control works even without speedo display.

Help on any of these issues is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty good with turning wrenches, but trons get me every time.

Comment

Does your boat have the original isolator or did they convert it to dual battery and added an isolator?

May want to rewire/layout the system a little better. Wouldn't be that difficult.

Is the system dropping depth when it sounds?
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

I believe they had dual battery originally, but I know that they added the second isolator.

Rewiring to me is like a sharp stick in the eye!

Not sure what you mean by dropping depth, if you're asking if the beeping is depth warning then no, it's not depth related. It's an extremely short chirp, every few seconds. But not all of the time either.

Comment

Here's a straighforward question, is there a direct input from the paddlewheel to the speedset? That would explain why it works when the speedometer doesn't. If so, I may just go with a gps speedo, don't need the depth meter anyway.

Comment

If the speed-set works, the paddle wheel is not your issue.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My 03 22v has 2 paddlewheels. One for the speedo, which is mounted on the transom. One for the perfect pass, which is mounted under the v drive.

Check your grounds too. Seems like these boats came with inadequate grounds.

Comment

Well, Faria can't replace or rebuild that speedo, so I bought a new GPS speedo, and a matching tach. Lost all of the cool digital features, hour meter, fuel flow and calc, depth meter, but don't need any of it. So far, everything working, haven't had it out to check the gps speedo yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X