beginner boards???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beginner boards???

We are picking up our '13 Z3 this Saturday. I negotiated into the deal that they throw in a surf board for the kids.

my daughter is 16, 150lbs, my son is 12, 110lbs (but growing fast). The dealer carries Byerly, Hyperlite, & Ronix. He did tell me he can't give me a $1,000 board. What do you recommend for the kids from these brands. Is there a board they can both use?

Now for me...45, 230lbs.

What about wake boards? are the ones at ****'s that are $150 ok to get started on..

We have NO experience in wake boarding or surfing!

thank you,
    Mike

hyperlite broadcast can be a good starter board. lots of people have used that one.
    I prefer the ronix koal as I like more of a surfstyle.

not familiar with byerly.

dealer, if they have a decent pro shop, should be able to show you a couple and guide you toward one that will start you out. as you become better tho expect to be into a new board or 2 b4 the end of the season

this is all surfdriven.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Hyperlite broadcasts is a great beginner board, but you’ll quickly out grow it. The ronix koal fish is what I learnt on great board that allows you to progress. But then again next season you’ll be wanting something new.

For wakeboards, I’m just gonna say it straight out. Don’t waste your money. Unless you are an avaid wakeboarder don’t bother buying a bunch of wakeboards. Just grab something a bit cheaper and if you like wakeboarder, throw it on Craigslist and upgrade to something better. Once you start surfing, and crash on the wakeboard, you won’t be too interested.

Comment

^ so much truth to this post

I always kept the koal and broadcast around as "boat" boards as for the first few years I was pretty stingy with my soulcraft. think it was 2 years old b4 another rider got on it...

and yup, first faceplant on a wakeboard had me boarding once or twice a year just to say I did...
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I love to surf but wake boarding is my first love. You do have to pay the price to get good at it though. Surfing is drastically lower impact on your body so it seems a lot of people have bailed on the sport in favor of the less extreme discipline. I don’t see the point of comparing them as they’re drastically different.
          The biggest piece of advice I’d give a beginner wakeboarder is stay on your edges until you get a good feel for the board. It’s just like snowboarding in the respect that if you try to ride the flat of the board and catch an edge you may just meet the dreaded front side scorpion! If you’re turning to wards your back, IE hillside, be on that edge. Don’t let the boat pull you along on the flat of the board, that’s flirting with disaster. Same goes for toe side only it’s not such a bad deal wrecking onto your back. If you follow those simple rules you’ll avoid a lot of painful crashes and find it much more enjoyable.

As far as buying wakeboards go, you can’t go wrong with Ronix or Hyperlites entry line boards IMO. Look on eBay for last years or the year befores models. There are a ton for sale brand new at steep discounts.

Comment

I own a broadcast and it has held up really well and was the beginner board on our boat for years. Knowing what I know now... I would get a higher performance board to start with. As soon as your kids can stand in the pocket they will want a faster board in order to progress. A faster board can also make it easier to stand in the pocket in the first place. I have a Ronix Carbon Thruster that is now the beginner board on our boat. I've have had multiple beginners try both and they all prefer the thruster. Perhaps you can get your dealer to demo you a surf and a skim style so you can decide which you like before you buy? Congrats on the boat though!

Comment

CWB Ride is our beginner board that we all started riding. It is still the board we pull out to teach new riders. Great price/Great Value

On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Connelly-Ride...words=cwb+ride

If you get a good deal on a Ronix from the dealer; they make nice boards. We have 3 of them. Go with a thruster or powertail . Surf style boards will be easier to learn on as they will have more push built into them.
              Last edited by Rbuss4; 04-12-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbuss4 View Post
                CWB Ride is our beginner board that we all started riding. It is still the board we pull out to teach new riders. Great price/Great Value

On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Connelly-Ride...words=cwb+ride

If you get a good deal on a Ronix from the dealer; they make nice boards. We have 3 of them. Go with a thruster or powertail . Surf style boards will be easier to learn on as they will have more push built into them.
                I agree. We have the larger Ronix Powertail and another board nobody rides. ;-). The Ronix is super floaty and stable for all weight ranges. Kids to adults can ride to whatever their skill level allows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X