Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structural Foam

Hey guys -

I posted a while back about a bit of floor flex that our ‘13 Z3 has. After speaking with our local dealer (as well as the local Tige rep who was at the boat show), we determined that the factory probably just didn’t get enough AB (polyurethane) foam under that section of the floor. Sure enough, upon inspection, it would appear that the foam stops about 8” forward of the v-drive hatch hinge point. Tige suggested that I just foam that area with more structural foam (6# density or greater).

For a visual, imagine an encyclopedia laying on a desk, but all the pages are torn out. The top cover is the fiberglass underside of the deck, the bottom cover is a composite piece of wood that sits above the fuel tank. My question is... how do you get foam that’s supposed to be poured into a horizontal cavity like that? Am I forced to drill a hole in the deck, or is there a way to squirt/spray it?

I’ve called a few local repair shops and no one seems to be able to help... so I’m stuck doing this DIY.

Thanks for any advice!

Aaron

So the gelcoated part of the floor in front of the center floor flexes? Between the seam of the center floor and the walk-through area?
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
      So the gelcoated part of the floor in front of the center floor flexes? Between the seam of the center floor and the walk-through area?
      Just to the left of the drivers seat. You can open the vdrive hatch and clearly see that there’s nothing under that area of the floor to support it. Just fiberglass and gelcoat. Surprisingly, the gelcoat isn’t cracked... even though there’s a good 1/4” flex under my weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I’m not understanding you. It seems to me that if you can see that there is nothing in there than you could rig something up to enable you to get some foam in there. Maybe post some pics

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          I guess I’m not understanding you. It seems to me that if you can see that there is nothing in there than you could rig something up to enable you to get some foam in there. Maybe post some pics
          I agree. Guess I’m just seeking advice on the best way to get foam into this cavity (or if there’s a better way to support it). Hopefully these pics help:
          D3E692A0-2CDB-4657-815D-9F635FF8BACA.jpg
          24620453-D7D9-4B27-B67F-1F1F09B082A6.jpg

Thanks for taking a peek!

Comment

Seems to me that if Tige’ has acknowledged there should indeed be more foam under there that you may be able to get them to have a dealer take care of it for you at their expense.
            If you’re on your own try to at least get Tige’ to line you up with the stuff they use. I, guessing it’s the stuff you mix and starts in liquid form and rapidly expands to fill the space. Maybe a funnel and a length of 1” rubber tubing would do the trick? I haven’t really worked with that stuff so I’m not sure how fast it sets up on ya.

Comment

First off, about the encyclopedia. I bet half the guys on here don’t know what that is. I’m old enough now that I can say, “back in the day”. So back in the day we used to go to the grocery store all excited to see if they put out a new volume. I think we got all the way to U or V before they discontinued selling them. I know nothing about anything in this world if it starts with W through Z.

Second. Drop it off at your dealer. If Tige is admitting that they didn’t build it right, let them fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                First off, about the encyclopedia. I bet half the guys on here don’t know what that is. I’m old enough now that I can say, “back in the day”. So back in the day we used to go to the grocery store all excited to see if they put out a new volume. I think we got all the way to U or V before they discontinued selling them. I know nothing about anything in this world if it starts with W through Z.

Second. Drop it off at your dealer. If Tige is admitting that they didn’t build it right, let them fix it.
                Hah! [emoji23]

I was actually avoiding the dealer since the boat is outside of the 5yr warranty (I’m second owner anyway). I assumed they wouldn’t be able to get anywhere with Tige... even having admitted it was a defect from the factory. Fingers crossed that they’ll take care of this for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The hull should have a lifetime warranty. I would like to think that this part would too. It’s not a wear item.

Comment

I was told at the factory that they never have to use the lifetime hull warranty.... So maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                      I was told at the factory that they never have to use the lifetime hull warranty.... So maybe not.
                      I think that might be wrong.

Comment

LIFETIME HULL REPLACEMENT
                        Tige offers the only complete hull replacement warranty in the industry. If you ever experience a structural hull failure or delamination, at any time while you own your boat, Tige will replace it with a new boat at no charge.

Comment

Ok maybe he was referring to how well the boats are made they rarely have anything that is needed to be fixed in this category.

Comment

Hull warranty is transferable. You fill out the paperwork and send in the transfer fee.

Technically is the deck separating from the floor so it wouldn't be covered under the hull warranty.

Do not put foam in that cavity. That is not what is in there. It is a two part bonding putty. I would suggest using the same type of putty to bond the two pieces together. If you use foam, it will eventually break down and be squishy again. You need something that will make the area solid. Let me do some research and see what I can find off the shelf that would work.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

3m 16215 Bonding putty will be your best bet. Not sure if you can get it in 1 gallon pails or not.That should be all you need.
                              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X