I think we are buying a 2013 Z3....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we are buying a 2013 Z3....

As the title states, we have been shopping every brand for about 4 months. A dealer we have been in contact with had a trade come in and thought of us first (yeah I know)
    Any way we love the way it looks, it has 134 hours on it and everything is in excellent condition. Everything has been down over the internet, email, and text messages. We are driving down Thursday to check it out as they check out our trade in.

We are trading in a 1999 Champion 190sx (fish & ski). We have outgrown it badly and with a 12 year old son and daughter getting ready to leave for college in a couple years we thought that investing in better time on the water with family and friends is most important to us (probably not the best financial decision). With the four of us in the boat we had no room to bring anyone with us. We got in our seats and couldn't move until we got to the swimming cove or sandbar. Add a cooler in the boat and we were always having to climb over stuff. We are looking forward to having more room. I can hopefully have room for my nieces, my kids and their friends, and a great time learning water sports.

Anyway, as we are going to look the Z3 over, and it is our first inboard/wake/surf boat so I am looking for things to see from the Tige' family. What are things that are commonly overlooked? Things that may be an issue with this year and model? ANYTHING???

Advice on driving the boat? Is Chine Lock that common. We are mostly going to be at Table Rock Lake. We will have days where we will make a 10+ mile run, maybe up to 20miles to meet family and friends? How is the efficiency of this boat running at an efficient speed( 2/3 max rpm). Just cruising will this boat handle the chop and waves of a big reservoir smoothly?

I am sure I will have many more questions to come...an ANY ADVICE is always appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Mike
    Union, MO

You will love the Z3. My '16 will chine lock with a heavy boat and everyone on one side. Yours will have 3 tracking fins so might not. Solution is easy though...don't overload one side or turn away from the heavy side or cut throttle for a second then slam it or just don't Power turn with a loaded boat.

Handle chop great. I slow down to 20 or so for the bigger stuff and it's great. Never, not once felt sketchy and I've had it in some pretty rough wind and waves.

I think the 13s might have had vinyl issues so check it out closely.

Comment

Z3’s put out an amazing wave. Even the pre taps 3 ones. If the boat is in good shape you’re making the best decision you can. The Wake boats are measured a little differently than I/Os, the 23’ length doesn’t include the platform unlike your 19’ current boat. If you’re worried about people we have over 12 in a friends quite often and it’s comfortable. 36908A73-D02C-48D0-8860-CE4C403C081E.jpg

Comment

Watch for the vinyl issues. Tige and every other manufacturer got bad vinyl in 2013.

I think the chine lock was a bigger issue on the Z1.

Look for cracks in the tower near the bolts. Also look for cracks on the swim platform. Mine got replaced due to this.

Check to ensure the Vx has the proper brackets. Basically the brackets should not have any holes (spaces) in them.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...cket-look-here

As for surfing you will want aftermatket ballast sacks and a suck gate to make the most of it.

Check which prop it has. Youll want the 1235.

Honestly this is all minor stuff. If you love the feel of it, buy it.

Comment

Check steering cable feel. Wheel should turn easily both directions on trailer, wheelock to wheelock. Personally would also bring along a 3/8" open end and crack the plug on the vdrive and make sure it's not milky, or request mechanic does and get a visual. Does the boat have the 343 or the 409??
          Also, if you are coming from a sterndrive reverse is a bit different. Will basically only pull the transom to starboard. It's fine once you get used to it, but requires some forethought on how you approach docks, ramps, and lifts. It's not bad, just different.
          At 134 hours if there's no record of last impeller service just do it. It's worth it.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-28-2018, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X