Z3 or R22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 or R22

Looking for opinions. What boat will be best for surfing? In the market for a new one and have been leaning now towards Z3 but figure I should also consider R22.

Both will be awesome. However I think the Z hull is a bit deeper and handles big weight a bit better. The older hull handles the weight too, but the rub rail gets closer to the water and that get's people more sheepish. If you are new to surfing, you will quickly become addicted to adding more and more ballast.

Shouldn't you be comparing the Z3 and the RZ2 though? OR the R22 to R23?

Comment

Not new to surfing...just upgrading to new boat. Yes just comparing 22ft. Hull to 23. So I guess for comparison could be either an R or Z. The RZ2 is out of my budget unfortunately.

Comment

I personally think the RZ hull is the nicest looking in the current lineup. However the Z hulls are a bit newer and a bit deeper. That helps for feeling comfortable while surfing. Now that listing isn't a problem anymore, the rub rail thing may not concern you.

At this point, I think you want to focus more on the right deal. I went in wanting an RZ2, but ended up with the Z1 because it was in the colours I liked, and it was discounted.

Comment

Rz2/r22 throws a nice wave. Would rather have a z3/r23 though. Rz2 rub rail starts tapering down a bunch after the window towards the nose of the pickle. When running surf weight I've found you have to really have to pay attention to rollers being thrown from other boats during turnarounds or when not up on plane. If you aren't paying attention there is the potential to take a big one over the front and you get to watch your bilge pump test it's auto function. Especialky if you have your weight and a bunch of kids move to the front or even 2 adults. Usually find u have to start pumping some out to get the nose up. If you always boat on flat water you'd never notice it. Never an issue in a z3/r23 tho.
          Just my opinion.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-08-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Torch View Post
            The RZ2 is out of my budget unfortunately.
            I'm guessing you mean the new RXZ2...? The RZ2 and Z3 would be similar in price I believe (I don't know what for a fact though). The RZX2/3 are a bit higher..

The Z3 was built with surfing in mind, its a surf machine! If you mainly surf, its the Z3/R23 (R23 being the budget friendly version) without question...in my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jslayde1 View Post
              I'm guessing you mean the new RXZ2...?
              Tige would be wise to find more letters in the alphabet.

Comment

hahah, guess they didn't get your memo for the zx5...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                  Tige would be wise to find more letters in the alphabet.
                  LOL, I know right...

Comment

Working...
                  X