Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VDrive Raw Water Drain - Leaking AF

Hi all -

I winterize my boat but keep it in an insulated garage throughout winter. That said, while working on my winter projects, I noticed that the raw water drain on the front/bottom of the PCM VDrive (1:48) seems to be dripping AF (there's a nice puddle sitting right below it). A few questions:

1. Is there a torque spec to wrench that plug down? I don't want to over-tighten, but I'm not finding anything in the manual here: http://pcmengines.com/wp-content/upl...L510010-13.pdf
    2. Any harm in putting some teflon tape on the threads?
    3. Anyone else with this issue? I'm just wondering how much of the water in my bilge (which isn't much more than a cup full) after a day on the water is due to this drain plug leaking.
    4. Although it seems to be coming from the VDrive drain plug, is there anything else I should check just to be sure?

Thanks for the help!

A picture will confirm, but the plug I think you are talking about is an NPT plug so if it's not super tight and you can turn it a but the leak will probably stop.
    IF not PTFE or Teflon should do the trick. Nice job on the steering cable. Post a pic of plug if possible to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      A picture will confirm, but the plug I think you are talking about is an NPT plug so if it's not super tight and you can turn it a but the leak will probably stop.
      IF not PTFE or Teflon should do the trick. Nice job on the steering cable. Post a pic of plug if possible to make sure.
      Yep - it is the NPT plug with a 1/2" socket (female) in it. I threw some teflon tape on it. I can still feel the slightest bit of AF seeping out, but no more puddles over the past 24-36 hours. I think it's good. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over-tightening it beyond some torque-spec. I had to tighten it pretty tight, however, though I think much of that was because the teflon made for a tighter fit.

Comment

Working...
      X