Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Z3 Floor Flex

Hey all -

Not finding much searching forum archives. Have any Z3 owners noticed the floor flexing a bit around where the center drain plug would be (had Tige not removed it)? I was told by a few dealers now that when Tige decided to remove the center drain plug, they never changed out the top deck molding... which still had an access hole cut in it to the left of the drivers seat, just forward of the vdrive hatch. There appears to be a heavy-duty textured plastic piece adhered over this hole. Even so, when putting focused weight over the area, I get the feeling that the plastic piece is flexing a bit.

Is this normal? Is there nothing under this area to help support things? Why didn't Tige just glass over this hole? Should I be concerned at all? Everything else appears to be fine... but heck, rather than deal with the flex, I'd rather have a center plug back!

Thanks for any insight...

I was told by a few dealers now that when Tige decided to remove the center drain plug, they never changed out the top deck molding.
    This makes absolutely zero sense, considering the Z3 never had a center drain that I recall, for tige to delete. 2nd, I dont recall a center drain in a tige past the early 2K direct drive.

However, there is a large removeable floor section there, thats used to access the fuel tank, bilge and v-drive.

Can you post a pic of what you are referring to?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      This makes absolutely zero sense, considering the Z3 never had a center drain that I recall, for tige to delete. 2nd, I dont recall a center drain in a tige past the early 2K direct drive.

However, there is a large removeable floor section there, thats used to access the fuel tank, bilge and v-drive.

Can you post a pic of what you are referring to?
      Yep. Actually... the plastic "piece" I was referring to is just the texturing of the gelcoat. There's a lip to it that I thought looked like an overlaid piece, but I was mistaken after taking closer pics. And, now that I've looked closer, I don't see how a center plug would have been possible. So, now I'm just dealing with floor flex, to which I'm not sure is "normal". The bottom 3 pics are upside down for some reason... FYI... but they are my best attempt at showing underneath that area of the floor. There appears to be some wood piece with foam sandwiched between it and the underside of the glassing.

image1.jpg
      image2.jpg
      image3.jpg
      image4.jpg
      Last edited by arohyans; 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

The textured floor is commonly called non-skid, on a boat. Very common in areas of walking traffic that do not have a permanent covering. Sport boats will have it on the top of the deck cap, as walking on them is normal. Its not an add-on but actually designed into the mold so its created when the gel coat is sprayed.

Just to ease any concern, thats a composite board, not wood. No wood in that boat.

id start by contacting your local Tige dealer about resolving the flex. If no local dealer to work with, contact Tige directly for some assistance with that. I want to say that ive seen this topic before.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          The textured floor is commonly called non-skid, on a boat. Very common in areas of walking traffic that do not have a permanent covering. Sport boats will have it on the top of the deck cap, as walking on them is normal. Its not an add-on but actually designed into the mold so its created when the gel coat is sprayed.

Just to ease any concern, thats a composite board, not wood. No wood in that boat.

id start by contacting your local Tige dealer about resolving the flex. If no local dealer to work with, contact Tige directly for some assistance with that. I want to say that ive seen this topic before.
          Thanks for the help!

I was worried you'd say that (call Tige). I'm the second owner, so I'm hoping Tige will work with me? I know the warranty isn't transferrable. This looks to have left the factory this way... would Tige generally work with a 2nd owner on something like this?

Comment

I would not expect them to warranty it. But I would expect them to help you resolve the flex if at all possible.

Comment

Mine flexes there too. I just thought it was because I am immense.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                Mine flexes there too. I just thought it was because I am immense.
                I'm a big guy too (6'2" +/- 260lbs) ... but this actually makes me feel a bit better . I can deal with the flex, if I knew it was nothing to be concerned about. And maybe, per the post above, since it's not wood... there's really nothing to be concerned about?

Comment

I'm same size as you arohyans. I notice same flex in a lot of boats I work on. Will also notice it in the bow if I have the cushion out. I've never seen gel cracks related to the flexing though.
                  If it really bothers you I don't think there is a ton you can do because of access in that area. Only thing I can think of would be to Great Stuff foam the crack in between floor and tank. God help anyone that would ever have yo remove the tank down the road. Though not much need with the plastic tanks for removal in my experience..

Comment

Working...
                  X