Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Z3 Rudder/Steering Linkage Access

Hi all -

I’m planning to swap out the steering cable on our Z3 in a few days. I’ve read through the how-tos here, but have a simple question. On a Z3, what’s the best/easiest way to get to the rudder? From the port/starboard side rear lockers, I can just barely reach the steering linkage. Is there a trick to this? I’m sure I can get the old cable off... getting the new on may be a trick though!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Only got 5 years out of the factory cable? That doesn’t seem right. I’ve got an 07’ still on the original and it still turns super smooth.

Comment

Unfortunately yes... and I’m the second owner, so no way to get it under warranty. Reading through the forums, this issue really seems to be hit or miss. Some people get 2-3 years, some people 5, some people 7-8, etc. I’m thinking this boat spent time on a lift at the lake where it was exposed to constant moisture... which just corroded the cable. I’ll be trailering it from here on and it will be in my garage when not out on the water. Hopefully that will prolong the next cable’s life.

Comment

I just replaced my cable on my 2013 RZ2 this summer. It has been trailered and stored inside since new and eventually just was too hard to turn to the left. I removed mine by taking the nut and bolt out where the cable connects to the rudder by leaning thru the starboard rear locker and stretching for it. Then, I removed the large nut on the guide tube by coming in thru the rear port locker and removing the side panels. Mine came off easily although I remember reading that some were frozen on. I then tied a piece of paracord to the end of the cable in order to be able to pull the new one back through without having to fish it through all the tight spots. Then, remove the panels in the front starboard locker in front of the helm and you should be able to see the cable mixed in with the heater hoses, etc. I had my son under the helm pulling while I pushed it through the locker access. Same for reinstalling. Some cables are routed under the gas tank but mine was over the top which was much easier. Make sure you get the extreme version of the new cable. I'm not 100% sure on the number, but I think the 13 at the beginning of the number is replaced by a 15 on the Teleflex branded cable. The extreme is supposed to last much longer. Good luck.

Originally posted by arohyans View Post
        Hi all -

I’m planning to swap out the steering cable on our Z3 in a few days. I’ve read through the how-tos here, but have a simple question. On a Z3, what’s the best/easiest way to get to the rudder? From the port/starboard side rear lockers, I can just barely reach the steering linkage. Is there a trick to this? I’m sure I can get the old cable off... getting the new on may be a trick though!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Comment

You may be able to stretch in from starboard locker as above posted, ive done them that way as well. I'm a big guy and to save the hassle I usually pull the port side battery (be sure to zip tie leads together or label, however you keep track of it), then just pull the hdpe panels at rear of locker. Doesn t take that long and gives you lots more room to work.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            You may be able to stretch in from starboard locker as above posted, ive done them that way as well. I'm a big guy and to save the hassle I usually pull the port side battery (be sure to zip tie leads together or label, however you keep track of it), then just pull the hdpe panels at rear of locker. Doesn t take that long and gives you lots more room to work.
            Never thought of this! I have the batteries removed and on trickle charge. Wouldn't take much to remove the paneling as well. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by montanafarmer View Post
              I just replaced my cable on my 2013 RZ2 this summer. It has been trailered and stored inside since new and eventually just was too hard to turn to the left. I removed mine by taking the nut and bolt out where the cable connects to the rudder by leaning thru the starboard rear locker and stretching for it. Then, I removed the large nut on the guide tube by coming in thru the rear port locker and removing the side panels. Mine came off easily although I remember reading that some were frozen on. I then tied a piece of paracord to the end of the cable in order to be able to pull the new one back through without having to fish it through all the tight spots. Then, remove the panels in the front starboard locker in front of the helm and you should be able to see the cable mixed in with the heater hoses, etc. I had my son under the helm pulling while I pushed it through the locker access. Same for reinstalling. Some cables are routed under the gas tank but mine was over the top which was much easier. Make sure you get the extreme version of the new cable. I'm not 100% sure on the number, but I think the 13 at the beginning of the number is replaced by a 15 on the Teleflex branded cable. The extreme is supposed to last much longer. Good luck.
              Thanks! This is what I was planning to do as well. I've got a buddy for a second set of hands... but we're both pretty big guys. Hopefully we can make this work

Comment

Thanks! This is what I was planning to do as well. I've got a buddy for a second set of hands... but we're both pretty big guys. Hopefully we can make this work
                IF he's that big you may consider pulling port side plastics as well as it's a long reach to come in from port side to help out. Or You can sometimes lay on top of engine and reach over top to help. Good luck

Comment

Unfortunately yes... and I’m the second owner, so no way to get it under warranty. Reading through the forums, this issue really seems to be hit or miss. Some people get 2-3 years, some people 5, some people 7-8, etc. I’m thinking this boat spent time on a lift at the lake where it was exposed to constant moisture... which just corroded the cable. I’ll be trailering it from here on and it will be in my garage when not out on the water. Hopefully that will prolong the next cable’s life.
                  Now that I opened my big mouth I’ll undoubtedly be replacing mine this season!

Comment

Its typically not too bad unless you have a 22ve/24ve with rear ballast tanks. Easier to do the job with the tank rotated around. I pull the fuel pump to make it easier to rotate.

Mark where the cable cover goes. You can cut that hole opening a little larger to make pushing the cable through a little easier. As long as you can get it in the bilge, it doesnt matter which way it faces. Keep stuffing it in until the cable runs out over the tank, then pull it to find the end.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks guys... sounds like I've got a fun Saturday ahead of me! I may snap some pics of the process to share on here for those in the same predicament .

Comment

Can you do me a favor and take pictures, and maybe do a write up?

I've got a 2014 Z3 and my steering wheel is nearly unturnable.

Last season was my first season having a boat lift, and I had no idea that just having my boat on a lift was putting me at risk of freezing up my steering. I've been debating on whether I need to take it to the dealer or do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post

Last season was my first season having a boat lift, and I had no idea that just having my boat on a lift was putting me at risk of freezing up my steering. I've been debating on whether I need to take it to the dealer or do it myself.
                          Would be happy to! I'll post some pics (and the process I used) back to this thread when I finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post

I'm sure you know this now, but you gotta make sure you keep the bilge drained and dry! ever since i started doing that I've had no issues for the past 5-6 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. Hard lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X