Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transom LED install questions.

Good afternoon folks,

Sorry for blowing up the board lately. Getting ready for the season. I've got two dragon 5150's to install.

https://boatpluglight.myshopify.com/...-transom-mount

My question is what would be the cleanest way to wire it up.

1. tap in to the stern light.
    2. wire direct to the battery switch and use supplied remote control/switch.
    3. wire to accessory switch panel.

Thank you,
    Sam

I wired mine into the accessory switch on the dash. Just so you know some boats come pre wired depending on the model.

Comment

Based on your profile, you have a 2000. So no pre-wire for underwater lights.

No on powered off the required NAV lighting. You will want to have the ability to run transom LEDs separate from the NAV lights
      I would avoid any unnecessary small ring terminals on the main battery switch. Wire them to the helm BUS. You can use the supplied remote as your on/off.
      This may be the best option, having a dedicated on/off rocker. Some wireless controllers are programmed to come on when B+ is restored. So you may find the lights come on every time you turn the main switch on.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

2nd using the helm bus if you can. That way you don’t have to have two sets of wire runs as well, just power and ground to the switch then power and ground from the switch to the lights. Definitely put them on a dedicated switch.
        Last edited by Jetdriver; 02-12-2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Hey Chpthril, I tried to PM you back today, but your inbox is full. Let me know once it is cleared.

Comment

Help me out here guys... BUS?

Comment

https://www.bluesea.com/products/230...usBar_-_5_Gang

There is most like one of these under your helm. It is the bus bar that was referred to.

Comment

Electrical BUS = junction, fuse/breaker, etc
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Samuelp63 View Post
                  Help me out here guys... BUS?
                  Basically what he was saying is to use the wiring at the helm that is already existing. If you have a spare accessory switch on the dash, simply run a power wire from it to the transom light then run the ground from the transom light to the nearest ground bus bar (usually one on the port rear corner). Check/change your fuse size on this switch to match your needs with the new lights.

If you do not have an open switch, mount an additional switch for the light. Pull power from the fuse panel (with the correct fuse size of course) to the switch. Run power wire from switch to the transom light. Then ground to nearest ground bus bar. You can add a ground wire to the switch and the blue wire from the gauges/switches to make the switch light up when nav/anchor switch is turned on.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                    Basically what he was saying is to use the wiring at the helm that is already existing. If you have a spare accessory switch on the dash, simply run a power wire from it to the transom light then run the ground from the transom light to the nearest ground bus bar (usually one on the port rear corner). Check/change your fuse size on this switch to match your needs with the new lights.

If you do not have an open switch, mount an additional switch for the light. Pull power from the fuse panel (with the correct fuse size of course) to the switch. Run power wire from switch to the transom light. Then ground to nearest ground bus bar. You can add a ground wire to the switch and the blue wire from the gauges/switches to make the switch light up when nav/anchor switch is turned on.
                    Any idea where to find a wiring diagram? I see four wires coming off of the switch. They are connected to a single plug. Two swtiches, two plugs both 4 wires in to 1.

Comment

If you find any kind of diagram I would be amazed. Sounds like you have one or two ACC switches your lights could be wire to. Please try and post some pics of the back of the switch you intend to use and that will help. Blue wire to switch is for the light in the switch usually. Black is ground for bulb in the switch. Then there is usually a red or orange wire that is the fused 12v supply. If there is a fourth wire I would venture that is switched 12v. Again pictures would help.
                      I would get out your multimeter and pull the spade connector back off the switch and figure out which is constant 12 v to switch and which post is switched 12v. Once you know that you just do what KoolAid said. Run that switched 12v to your transom light and give them a ground at the bus bar.

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/arch...hp/t-3037.html

Search is awesome. Thank you guys. Had to dig through the archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuelp63 View Post
                          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/arch...hp/t-3037.html

Search is awesome. Thank you guys. Had to dig through the archives.

How’s this look for location? I can’t go any lower without going narrower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your brackets are going to block a bunch of light mounting them that far out. I’d move them towards the inside another 6-8”. Height wise you’re good. You want them more or less just below the water line.

Comment

What kind of lights did you get BTW?

Comment

Working...
                              X