Miners Moss (AKA Deckadance) Boat Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miners Moss (AKA Deckadance) Boat Project

So I have gotten tired of my smelly 18yr old carpet in my 1999 21v. I know there have been multiple write ups on Miners Moss or Deckadence but I figured I would write my own real quick with some pictures.

I started by ordering 3 rolls of the gray 3'x5' miners moss on Amazon, along with Amazing Goop Marine adhesive.

Once they arrived I laid the pieces out upside down and put weighted objects along the edges to help hold them together.

I then applied ALOT of the adhesive to the bottom of the seems and let that dry for about 2 hours. ( I watched the YouTUBE video on How to glue seems of Deckadence together). I think this was one of my few mistakes. I applied ALOT of glue and by doing this when you step on the seem you feel the glue. but I was more concerned about getting a good Bond (which on a side note I have a good bond. I tried tearing the glue seems on a scrap piece after my pattern was cut out and I couldn't tear the glued seem it tore then actual mat north of the glue. So the seems are not coming apart on this mat)

I then flipped it over and glued the inside of the seems. This time I used a lot less glue because I didn't want it to overflow through the top of the seems.

I then Made a template out of butcher paper and the front Bow snap out carpet and cut the floor out of the miners moss.

Oh and one of the days I hit up some smooth glass for a evening wakeboard ride =)
    Last edited by Yankees39; 08-21-2017, 12:59 AM.

I then ripped out the old carpet which was easy and only had minimal glue left on the fiber glass. I used a putty knife and scrapped the glue out that was there and wiped the floors down.

Once that was done I got a quart of Herculiner and taped the edges and painted on the first coat and quickly realized I needed a second quart. Ran back to the store and got my second quart and applied round two about 2 hours later. It isn't perfect but seems to hold the mat real well, at least better than the glassed floor in the bow.

While this was drying I purchased some kitchen drawer liners and used 3M spray adhesive and applied them to the back of the flooring. After a couple uses I don't think the 3M spray Adhesive will last but probably isn't needed where the Herculiner is put down. In the Bow I am going to put snaps on the Miners Moss to snap to the original snap location from the carpet. The bow definitely needs something to help hold it in place. If you push off of it at a angle the flooring moves.

I then reinstalled the seat base and then laid the flooring in.

I would like to put the tige logo on it and have cut out a stencil on a poster board but there is to much overspray on my sample test piece. it is not crisp enough in my opinion. Im sure there is a better way like cut a template out of wood but Im not that gifted nor patient enough so for now it will be bare.

We Went out Friday and Saturday afternoons and the flooring is awesome. Soft on the feet and I have no concerns about the kids doing anything to stain it our ruin it. Water runs though it and your not stomping around on soaked dirty carpet. Its not a professional job and some of the curves and corners are not perfect and the two seems are not invisiable but I am really the only one that has noticed those things or at least that cares about it. I got multiple complements this weekend including some from the wife which is always better than comments of why are you spending so much money and time on that boat ( she secretly loves it I know it). I am very pleased with it.

If I could do it over again I would take more time on the template and curves and corners. Also probably use less glue on the bottom side.

Happy boating!

Last edited by Yankees39; 08-21-2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Nice project. I've heard of others using the miners moss before. Thought about doing that myself at some point.

Comment

Nice project. How does the Miner's Moss compare to the Deckadence? Is it the same thing? I think this is an upgrade in my future. I hate the carpet too.

Comment

If I ever make a single mat out of multiple pieces, I'm going to get some of that fiberglass mesh they make for drywall seams and try embedding that in a thinner layer of adhesive. I suspect it would be at least as strong, still be flexible, and be lower profile than a big hump of glue. Just thinking out loud....

Comment

IDboating I think I know what your referring to and that might be the way to go. The glue isn't bad but it is definitely not perfect but my expectations where nothing of perfection (main reason I should do these DIY projects).

JohnnieMo the Deckadence is 14mm and this is 12mm thick I believe. So some have said you can tell the difference in them. I have not been on the deckadence flooring but suspect it is nicer but I believe the deckadence would have cost me in the range of 600$. The miners moss was 40$ a mat so that was 120$ the glue was $10 and the backing was another $10 so let's say all in all I'm in on this for roughly $160 vs $600 (Herculaneum was $30 a quart and I used 2 quarts but I had to do that reguardless of Deckadence or Miners moss). So I figure go with this now and later down the road if we want to upgrade to deckadence we can. So far though I don't see that happening unless it just starts to falls apart.

Comment

Did you use snaps or put some type of grip on the bottom like deckadence to hold it in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chugh2o View Post
                Did you use snaps or put some type of grip on the bottom like deckadence to hold it in place?

Never mind must have missed it in your post

Comment

I will put some snaps in the Bow section. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Nice work....same boat as mine. Will probably take this on as a winter project. Thanks for the great write up.

Comment

Been researching the same project. I found some stuff on the wed that ships from china but appears to be just like deckadence with the rubberized backing on it. I found it on Alibaba.com searching pvc carpeting. The markup on Deckadence is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                        Been researching the same project. I found some stuff on the wed that ships from china but appears to be just like deckadence with the rubberized backing on it. I found it on Alibaba.com searching pvc carpeting. The markup on Deckadence is ridiculous.
                        Sounds like some good stuff do you mind sharing the link?

Comment

Some of those look good but everything I can find is a minimum purchase situation with it totaling to a large amount of money, but I didn't look at all of them. I like The backing on some of them but couldn't tell if it was porous or not.

After a week or so with mine I don't think I need the non slip on the flooring where I rolled on Herculiner. But I do need to install snaps in the Bow even with the non slip it still moves around on ya.

I have already ripped all the carpet out of the Bow underneath the seat cushions and in the storage lockers by the cooler and the "dry locker" (doesn't seem to stay dry ). I won't lay down herculiner in those areas just putting the miners moss down.

I drove home in the rain (7 mile drive) and took on a good amount of water and carpet stayed wet for two days now in those areas. So I ripped all that carpet out since I got nothing to do with Hirrican Harvey ruining my boating activities!

Comment

Originally posted by Chugh2o View Post
                            Sounds like some good stuff do you mind sharing the link?

As Yankees39 said most of these do state a minimum order. I'm guessing contacting someone directly you could work out a deal. I haven't got that far. Here's what I was looking at.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2bd13975fUYrKC

Comment

Anyone know the best non skid material I can put in the bow section? I put a rug non skid mat down

And that seemed to work good until I took the floor up and realized the 3m spray adhesive I used was what was holding the floor mat down to the fiberglass not really the non skid Mat.

It’s only my bow section that is a problem, the main cabin area I Rhino lines and is rough enough that it holds the mat.

I think I read on a DIY for this mat to use PVC glue to glue a non skid to the bottom of the mat. Any suggestions?

The floor itself has been awesome these last few months. Just gotta get the front Bow section To not move when a foot pushes off of it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X