Steering and General boat questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering and General boat questions

I was able to get the boat out today for a shakedown run. After a disaster adverting run back to the dock, after my raw water hose came lose. We were able to test the boat for a few hours and everything worked as expected besides the TAPS, but I had two more questions for the group

1) When steering to the port side it was really stiff, only underpower not when putting around. I assume this was due to the prop but wanted to check to make sure, since I have the boat going into the shop on Wednesday, I would have them look at this too if it was a issue. It wasn't something crazy just much harder to steer to the port.

2) The boat has closed loop cooling, and I was wondering what temp I should be expecting to see. Today it was running between 175 and the next mark up, and I want to know if it should be lower or its right were it should be

3) With the disaster I think my first "ALARM" was the bilge going off, or lack of, I heard about 2 different tones coming from the dash, and the light for the bilge came on without the switch turned on. I found that the pump was not working. How do I get to that thing to replace it?

2003 22v

Thanks
    Lucky
    Last edited by Techna22v; 06-05-2017, 04:29 AM.

For the steering, you will notice the prop will effect when under power but you should of still be able to turn it fairly easily.

Comment

The bilge pump is hard wired to the battery so it will automatically come on if the float switch activates. If the light on your switch came on but the pump didn't then it suggests the pump may have failed or possibly your screen in the bottom of it is clogged up. On my boat it's mounted in the right rear corner and that's the last spot water collects when the boats level in the water. Unless there's quite a bit of water in the bilge or the bow of the boat is raised up you may not be getting water to it. These boats hold the water under the tank because the shape of the hull. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
        The bilge pump is hard wired to the battery so it will automatically come on if the float switch activates. If the light on your switch came on but the pump didn't then it suggests the pump may have failed or possibly your screen in the bottom of it is clogged up. On my boat it's mounted in the right rear corner and that's the last spot water collects when the boats level in the water. Unless there's quite a bit of water in the bilge or the bow of the boat is raised up you may not be getting water to it. These boats hold the water under the tank because the shape of the hull. Hope this helps.
        I can see it in the bilge, is there a easy way to get to it, I can't reach it through any open holes. My best guess is I have to remove the starboard side battery cover that might allow me to get in there

Comment

See a lot of boats but if this is a vdrive tige with a Merc 350 your bilge pump is most likely located right under your crankshaft pulley. Sounds like you've found it regardless. Welcome to working on your boat...contortionism, a good light, a few f bombs, and you will have it licked. First off though, when you throw switch does pump run at all?? If it does bilge may be clogged. If it doesn't run at all it's likely pumps bad. If you flip your switch and light doesn't come on at all fuse is probably blown due to a siezed pump, though may be a small chance light is out in switch. Start with diagnosing your problem before you suffer trying to yank a bilge pump out that works perfectly.

Your temp seems a bit high but also don't see many closed loop boats in that vintage. Is it a Merc??? Should be parked at 175, or possibly lower depending on the thermostat, but really depends on history of the boat. Someone could have easily replace it with a thermostat that is opening at higher temp. Or thermostat isn't opening fully. Gauge could also be issue...hard telling not knowing but if you are running the boat under load and temp hold steady there's a good chance water is moving through. It's when it just keeps going up that you've got problems. Running above 180 for extended periods seems high though.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-06-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X