Loss of power and surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of power and surge

I have a 1997 200v with the 350 Black Scorpion. This spring I took the boat to the shop for an oil change, impeller, water sep filter and v drive fluid change. The Tige dealer said they could not turn my boat off so they replaced the alternator. The alternator was 10 plus years old covered in corrosion.

On my first trip out this year - When I first accelerate the boat will struggle to get to 35 mph. When I pull back on the throttle the motor will surge. I pulled the water fuel sep filter off and I do not see any water. The gas look very clean. I always use the Blue marine Stabil fuel additive, premium high octane gas and keep the tank full over winter. I can hear the fuel pump prime every time I turn the key on. I'm thinking I have a fuel or fuel delivery problem.

The Black Scorpion should be MPI so you can get a fuel pressure reading off of the schrader valve, located on the fuel rail. That should let you know if you have fuel delivery/pressure issues.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

When is the last time that it had a new distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires?

Comment

Well I replaced the plugs, wires and cap / rotor. Took the boat out and it ran better but is still lagged over 2500 rpms and surged at 1000 rpms. During my run I heard a faint beep, only one beep. It did not sound like the warning sound you hear when the engine is hot. That is when the light bulb in my tiny head went on. The problem was with my perfect pass. I thought it was turned off. The display was burned out but it will still working!!!!!!!!! I hit the off button and my boat runs like it should.

Comment

Haha. Good discovery. I'm glad you found it and it was that simple. At least your motor is all tuned up for the season.
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by ktm450exc View Post
            The Tige dealer said they could not turn my boat off so they replaced the alternator. The alternator was 10 plus years old covered in corrosion.
            Sounds like the alternator was due to be replaced, but I don't understand the alleged connection between the alternator and "could not turn the boat off". When they turned the keyswitch to OFF, the engine kept running? How is that the fault of the alternator?

Comment

I also dont understand the connection between turning the engine off and having to replace the alternator. Since the ALT was old, rusted and starting to fail I went ahead and had it replaced. The mechanic is a Tige tech and he has worked on my boat since 1997.

Comment

If you ever get an explanation, please share it! That's a bit of education I'm obviously lacking.

Comment

Working...
                X