Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20V Water in the engine compartment

Hey Guys,

I just changed my water pump and I have 2 questions.

1. How much tension needs to be on the belt? I have read a 1/4" give on the longest point of the belt
    2. I have water coming in the engine compartment when I ran it. I only ran it for 10 minutes on the trailer backed down the ramp at a nearby launch point. The water pump I just changed, does not appear to be leaking.

This boat is new to me and ski boats in general, not sure what is acceptable amount of water, if any.
    It did not go all the way up to the back of the engine, and it appeared to come in, and not fill any more after it came in.

Thanks!

I always set the belt by feel so kind of hard to explain on that one but it needs to be fairly tight. Too tight it will eat the belt and too loose it will squeak when it slips. For only 10 minutes you shouldn't have had really any water in the boat, unless there was rain water or something in there and it all went to the back when you went down the ramp. I'd start by checking to make sure all the drain plugs in the motor/exhaust are in, really easy to miss one de-winterizing. If that's not the case check the shaft packing see if its leaking, or just start looking around for the leak.

Comment

I assume this is a V-belt and not a serpentine belt? For me a 1/4" of movement would have to be a pretty short point on the belt. Go look at the play on the belts of your cars/trucks in your driveway. Match it those. Otherwise, looser is better. If it squeals down the road, tighten it up a bit.

My bet also is that you had water in the front of the boat that ran to the rear when you put it in. Next time, stop just before hitting the water so your on a nice slant. Then remove the rear drain plug and let it empty. Then you'll know for sure that you started with no water in the boat. Then start watching for water to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
        I assume this is a V-belt and not a serpentine belt? For me a 1/4" of movement would have to be a pretty short point on the belt. Go look at the play on the belts of your cars/trucks in your driveway. Match it those. Otherwise, looser is better. If it squeals down the road, tighten it up a bit.

My bet also is that you had water in the front of the boat that ran to the rear when you put it in. Next time, stop just before hitting the water so your on a nice slant. Then remove the rear drain plug and let it empty. Then you'll know for sure that you started with no water in the boat. Then start watching for water to come in.
        I think the rain water is the EXACT Problem. Didnt think about that. It did get rained on once last week pretty solid and has not been at that angle since. Glad this is the problem and not something else!

The belt is a serpintine.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
        X