06 24ve bent strut and shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06 24ve bent strut and shaft?

Need some information on the alingment of the prop in regards to the rudder. I was T-boned by a jet ski last season just forward of the drivers seat. Jet ski was going at a good pace and put a hole in the hull, I was sinking, I had to beach the boat before it went down. In beaching the boat I hit something solid with the prop, one of the flutes on the prop was bent at a 90 degree angle. I replaced the prop and checked the shaft with a dial indicator and the shaft is running true but I am still get a decent vibration between 10 and 25 mph. I did notice when looking from the aft of the boat with the rudder straight that the prop nut is approximately 1.5" to the left of center. Can anyone with this boat or information on this boat tell me if the prop is completely inline with the rudder of is this offset is done by the manufacturer on purpose. Thanks

Some boats have an offset some are inline. Don't have any tiges of that vintage on our lot right now so can't verify if yours is offset or inline with rudder. Does your prop strut appear to have taken any carnage from the beaching??? I would point the finger there first due to nature of accident. Have also seen shafts twist at keyway in coupler to v-drive and not break that was causing a vibration, but feel like that's one in a million type deal. Where did you set up dial indicator on shaft??

Comment

The strut does not seem to have any damage. There is not scraps or missing brass. The dial indicator was put between the strut and the prop. Do you know where I can order a new strut. I am probably just going to buy a new one and put it up to the old one and see if it's bent. Hopefully I can get this figured out before the season gets here. Thanks for the help

Comment

http://elberts.com/underwatergear.htm
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Nickypoo,
          If you are mechanically inclined enough to to tackle strut replacement yourself I would start by double checking engine alignment as well before you spend money on parts. There are some vids out there on YouTube on how to do this. In it's simplest form though, unbolt coupler at v drive output and try to get a VERY small amount of clearance between couple and v drive. Grab a feeler gauge and check that the clearance is the same all the way around. I would personally re-mic the shaft again between strut and thru hull and as close to thru hull as possible to check for run out.
          A whole lotta bullshit, but I hate loading the parts cannon and blasting away without a good diagnosis first. Otherwise you could end up chasing your tail for a bunch of $
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-22-2017, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X