Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! I need to be sold on a Tige' V but the more I read the more questions I have.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I need to be sold on a Tige' V but the more I read the more questions I have.

Hello Tige' owners. After reading, and reading, and reading some more, I'm pretty exhausted and figured I'd dive on in and ask some questions of my own. Please bear with me as I understand my first question may be redundant and I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I'm in the market for a pre-owned v-drive. V-drive over DD because of the whole wife/family thing that seems to be pretty common, plus one of the primary lakes that I would frequent gets fairly choppy on weekend afternoons and I don't want to be hindered if we just feel like being on the water. I would classify myself as an above-average free skier. I have skied courses over the years but primarily I'm the guy doing the imaginary ones that are cheap and quick to set up, plus I never miss a ball I've skied behind Bu's, MC, and Supra's all dd's. I've also footed from the boom and long-line quite a bit off the Supra. The rest of my family will leisurely just get behind the boat, however, my son has discovered wake-boarding and surfing and he's only 15 so I want something that we can board and surf as a family. You know, that "perfect" everything boat (I know it doesn't exist). So after extensive investigation I've found that my pre-conceived notions of "the big three" are now wavering. My max budget is the low 20's (wife thing again) and that looks like I'm around the years 2000-2002 depending on if the heavens are smiling on me.

My concern with a v is like every other skier's. What kind of wake? As I understand, when it comes to slalom wake there seems to be pretty high marks for the 20v or 21v of the years I mentioned. So question number 1 is, does anyone with experience on those boats concur or deny that to be fairly accurate? I will ski behind any boat before I buy but if the consensus is that the wake's are bad for slalom at most speeds, I won't bother wasting my time.

Next, after reading up on these boats I was pretty convinced that finding a Tige' 20v or 21v was going to be a quest of mine. But I'm in the mid-west and they're a bit harder to find around here so I've made the mistake of continuing to read other forums about other boats. Granted, the big three brands are going to be full of people who just like the name so there will always be a giant salt-lick that I use when reading opinions (I refer to those people as "label brats"). But recently I was reading in a forum that the Tige's in the years I'm looking at had a lot of problems. Many people were citing that they have had big issues with their vinyl as well as poor gauges and gauge mounting, bad towers, hulls that kicked a great deal of spray and overall a loose/rattly boat. So I know this is a Tige' forum but can someone please honestly address these issues as to their validity? There were just too many comments stating the same things for me to disregard it all as brand biased.

I know I'm getting long on this so I'll leave it there for the moment and continue with other questions as I go. But if anyone with deep experience regarding the V series Tige's could offer up any solid information I'd really appreciate it. Seems the purchasing decision used to be a lot easier when the internet wasn't around.

Wait, one more quick question. Has anyone ever footed off either of those? If so, could you please share the experience i.e. power-band, wake, white water etc? I'm getting old and won't be footing much but if I'm going to buy an inboard boat I'd like to pull the suit out once in a while and prove to myself that I aint that old yet, plus the boy got up last year so I think he will be interested in footing occasionally.

If you're still here thanks so much for any information you can provide.
    -cheers-

Here's your boat:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ale&highlight=

It will do all that you ask. I would not heisitate to tow it to the Midwest.

Pm me your number and we can chat about all your questions.
    Last edited by UNSTUCK; 03-01-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks unstuck. I couldn't get to the site for the past day as it seemed to be down. I appreciate it and I'll certainly consider it as well as get in touch with you. With all due respect at this moment though I'd still like to hear about some of the issues (or non-issues) I mentioned from someone who isn't vested in selling theirs. Please don't take that the wrong way as text often comes off crudely and unintentionally brash. We will definitely chat soon about your boat. Thanks again.

Comment

I am sure there are others out there with some in-depth knowledge of those questions you ask but what sold me on Tige years before surfing took off; was a boat that could do all. We ski, wakeboard and surf behind our 24Ve. Do to it's size it doesn't have the perfect faint wake for skiing but I sacrifice that with the ability to turn on the pumps and 5 minutes later we were surfing. As I age, skiing and wakeboarding have diminished but I can go out and surf and the worse thing that happens is a fall at 10 miles an hour. You can't barefoot forever and those injuries just don't heal as fast anymore. Something to consider.

I am so sold on Tige, that we are trading in our 2008 24 Ve and my 2017 RZX2 is at the dealer, waiting for me to pick it up.
        Paul Middlemore

Comment

I think unstuck has your boat. If the mechanicals are in order, as it sounds like they are, it would be a great boat. The only downsides are the tower and the fact it's a Riders Edition. The Riders Edition is just the interior package. Its not quite as plush as the Limited. That could be a good thing if it needs some vinyl. The tower would need to be replaced at some point down the road but it would get you out on the water and riding.

The wakes are really easy to set up for surfing or wakeboarding. That's important for someone just getting into the wake side of things. I've seen some epic wakes from that hull. The everyday wakes are almost automatic.

The slalom wake is respectable. It's got a fairly shallow V and once you're up in the 34mph range it's not bad at all. It's gonna have a bit of a rooster tail but so long as you're comfortable at 15 off it's not a problem. Anything deeper and you'll be fighting it a bit. It has a very wide table and troughs and the transitions are very smooth. Pretty easy to deal with. It is not a flat bottom d- drive so don't expect it to be but, any skier worth his salt can go out and rip the fire stick no problem. Tough to stuff it down a course due to it's width. If the course is set up for dedicated slalom boats you'll be hitting guide bouys all the way through. Spray is not an issue at 15off.

I'm not a footer so I can't really speak intelligently on the wakes but, as stated before, really wide troughs.

Unstuck's boat has almost all the right stuff. It has all the important stuff. Black Scorpion, Hydrophase, prop, basic stereo and ballast. You're not going to find the perfect boat in your price range so picking your battles is important. I'd be looking for a mechanical peach with great wakes and a few things that I could upgrade later. Unstuck's boat fits that bill. Sorted mechanicals and perfect low hours. I'd slap an FAE on it and go run it for a season. See if you fall in love with it and if so, put a new tower on it and fix any interior issues and plumb the ballast in and you'll be done for years to come. If not, you could sell it for what you paid for it. The market is solid for these things.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

All good points Nick. We bought the boat two seasons ago as complete boat rookies. We really had no idea how our family would take to boating, so there was no way we could spend more on a newer boat. Well after two seasons of mostly surfing and tubing we love it and now want a bigger boat to bring more friends along. If it never sales, we'll just keep running and have a good time on it.

The tower seems to be the "worst" part of these boats. If that is true, then that means they really are great boats. It's not the best looking tower, and it's a bit of a pain to put up and down (we only do that when we put it away for winter). We keep an eye on the bolts as I've heard they come loose. Mine never have. At this point I trust if fully and have no plans on replacing it.

Here's a couple of pictures that might help. The first of my daughter and I tubing (I just wiped out). TAPS all the way down to give the smallest wake. Our speed was 24 mph. I'd guess going faster would make it even better. The second is not a very good picture of the surf wave, but gives you an idea.

Tube Wipeout3.jpg

010.jpg
            Last edited by UNSTUCK; 03-02-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

^^^oh Willard Bay...many good times there.

Comment

Originally posted by boonecragun View Post
                ^^^oh Willard Bay...many good times there.
                It's quickly turning into our go to place. Wide open and never crowded. Just get off before the sun sets and the bugs come out!

Comment

Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask a bold question now. Any experience or thoughts on the Tige 21v compared to something like a Malibu Wakesetter LSV of equal year? It's tough to ask questions about other boats when one party is trying to sell their boat but I'm an information junkie so I have to seek all the knowledge I can.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                    Just get off before the sun sets and the bugs come out!
                    We would always be out there at sunup to get our runs in. Don't miss those damn gnats.

Comment

The only thing I know that really sets them apart is the wood stingers that Tige used. I don't believe that Malibu was using them. This makes the boat a bit heavier and was supposed to make them rock solid in rough water. I have nothing to compare my boat to in rough water so I really have no idea how good it is. I will say I've hit some real rough water at speed and the boat handled it great. Never felt like it would bounce off the waves or toss us.

Comment

I was in the same situation as you, wanted a ski/surf boat. After a year of talking and shopping I finally found my 08 22ve. It has an awesome recreational ski wake and the surf wave is amazing! All within 5min of each other. I had a 97 pre2150dd before this boat and I think my v drive ski wave is even nicer.

Comment

I was in the same situation you are in, except it was 10 years ago. Wanted a ski boat, family required a v -drive. I drove everything, malibu, mastercraft, and nautique. I settled on a Tige20V, as it had a decent slalom wake at 15 off, Taps at 2-3, 33MPH gave me what I needed, it is not a direct drive, but pretty darn close, I ski with a guy who has a Malibu response, he was quite impressed, with the pull out of the hole plus the wake, this guy is a PRO.

On to the family - I purchased a 2007, Tige 20V, and LOVED It, kids learned how to wakeboard, ski and tube off it, safe boat, handled the rough lake really really well and a great cruise boat, it gave us everything we wanted. Sadly we -outgrew it, and I have to part with it, and the kids want to surf, so I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 Z1. I don't expect the wake to be great for slalom skiing, but I have two friends I can get a pull from. Otherwise, TIGE is the best boat in the industry, the z1 I expect to be amazing and surfing is the thing these days,

You will not go wrong with the Tige brand, the TAPS plate makes the inboard so much more usable than any other inboard on the market. Just do it - you only live once, that what I said at the boat show, when I signed the PO.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Drummerboy View Post
                            Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask a bold question now. Any experience or thoughts on the Tige 21v compared to something like a Malibu Wakesetter LSV of equal year? It's tough to ask questions about other boats when one party is trying to sell their boat but I'm an information junkie so I have to seek all the knowledge I can.
                            I owned a 21v before getting in my current boat. It's an awesome boat for the price. Even wakeworld.com users (notorious Tige haters) begrudgingly admit that the 21v will outperform that era year Malibu LSV in regard to rough water ride and surf wave capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                            X