No announcement yet.

Turning to the left problems 1999 21v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I get back from Utah on Monday I'll take a look. Off the top of my head I do not believe mine has that unless it is hiden below the engine and I havent seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees39 View Post
      When I get back from Utah on Monday I'll take a look. Off the top of my head I do not believe mine has that unless it is hiden below the engine and I havent seen it.
      You have to have it, it is a steering clamp block. It holds the outer part of the steering cable so the inner cable can push and pull the tiller arm that is attached to the rudder.

Comment

I finally got some time this afternoon to take a look back by the rudder. Looks like I might have found my problem. The rudder shaft and rudder arm aren't lined up? I loosened the bolts and Lined the groove up.

Now my rudder turns equally to both sides.

My next question is should there be a rectangle key to insert into the groove? And keep it from slipping again?

If so does anyone know what size or where I can get one?

Comment

Yes, you should have an 1/4" key in the key way.

Comment

You can buy key stock at any decent hardware store and cut it down to length. If it was me I'd unbolt the steering cable end from tiller arm, unbolt tiller arm, and slide tiller arm up off of the shaft of the rudder and inspect keyway to see if there's an old piece of key stock that sheared causing the twist you are having. Guessing someone had rudder out before for another repair and never put key back in key way though. DONT FORGET to block your rudder up with some wood underneath or when you unbolt tiller arm it can slide out and will either hit the ground or prop guard of your trailer, plus it will save you time for re-installation of tiller arm later.
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-05-2017, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X