Steeering still stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steeering still stiff

Hi everyone, I have a 2000 21V and just replaced the steering cable thanks to the help of this forum. My question is, now that I replaced the cable I still have very stiff steering to the left, could it be the helm? Or is there something on the rudder I'm possibly over looking?

Is this sitting still or under way or both? Is the cable the correct length or have a tight bend? Disconnect the rudder and turn the wheel and and rudder individually. I would expect a little difference between pushing the cable and pulling the cable, which is the difference between a right and left hand turn. But not too much of a difference in feel. I dont see an issue with the pinion gear or steering shaft being the issue. It would be odd that one half of the rack is defective. A bent rudder stem can cause a tight spot.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you for the reply, I ordered the cable from Discount inboard Marine and it was 17' same number on the old cable. We followed the old cable that was already replaced and positioned over the gas tank, there appears to be no kinks in the cable. It is smooth in both direction out of the water and in the water at idle speeds. It gets hard to turn as speeds increase, stiff while towing my kids surfing at 11mph. Do you have to remove the rudder to to check if it's bent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grab the rudder from under the boat and see if it has play either side to side or in any sections of movement , what normally happens with age is the port wears out and when the prop thrust pushes on it , it gets tight wear it is worn in the bore.

Comment

you can likely get a suspicion that its bent by how it turns with no cable attached. You might even see its bent but may need to remove to confirm.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the info, will check the rudder out when I get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X