tige cover / prop repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tige cover / prop repair

HI everyone we picked up our boat mon. nite wow is it nice. Do you use the tige cover when traveling? Or will it leave marks? We also were wondering about a place to take prop in case of any repairs needed? Do you always have a spare? And is it easy to change? Thanks for all your help. The Papendorf's

Unless you have a snap on cover, or one that is specially made for towing, then yes your cover will scratch up the gel coat while towing. I wouldn't recommend it.

Check your telephone book for Prop repair, or call/talk to the local boat mechanics for a recomendation. They usually know who is good.

A lot of shops will let you borrow a prop puller as well.

I carry a spare, and they are not that difficult to change.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
      I carry a spare, and they are not that difficult to change.
      It takes me about 15-20 minutes to change the prop with my prop puller.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

My 06 has a cover that pulls down over the R/R and then ratchets tight. The label says to remove the 'anti-pooling' system (support pole i guess) before trailering.

I've towed it on 2 long trips w/ the cover on and the pole in place. Have not found anywhere that has been rubbed. I left the support pole in becouse it kept the cover snug so it did not flap around. I think the cover needs a support pole for the front (bow) area of the cover, the wind does cause it to sag in alot.

One more note: I cut about 6 in's off my pole because the cover would not pull down over the R/R. Don't know if anyone else has had to do this?

Congratulations and welcome aboard.
        Last edited by chpthril; 08-23-2006, 12:19 PM.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You really shouldn't pull with your cover on man...you can mess your gel coat up nice if the cover gets loose and you don't realize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gschmidt1
            You really shouldn't pull with your cover on man...you can mess your gel coat up nice if the cover gets loose and you don't realize it.
            Do you leave your boat uncovered on long trips?

Comment

I agree to no cover on long trips, it does tend to make the boat dirty but all it takes is one weak seam for the cover to blow itself apart and then it either beats the snot out of the boat or worse comes off and flies around infront of the traffic behind you. I had a canvas motor cover from an outboard come off of a boat infront of me when I was on my motorcycle once and let me tell ya that was a scary incident. I was glad it didn't hook me. It ended up sticking to the grill of the car behind me though.

Comment

The only problem I have with no cover on long trips is, on the way home from Powell this year, we drove through several hundred miles of heavy rains. We would have had at least 2" of water in the bottom of the boat.

Comment

I have a Rankin cover and have no problem with scratching the gel coat. I always cover our boat on trips out of town.
                  Formertigeowners.com
                  I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

What is a rankin cover? does any one have a custom snap cover? And thanks everyone for your help. it is nice to have some where to to ask questions

Comment

I have a canvas cover that is supposed to be trailerable. It has many tie down points and similar to the rachet system, there is a rope around the bottom edge of the canvas to keep it tight.

However, as many have said, if the canvas rips and you don't notice, it can create problems.

So I had snap on covers made from Sunbrella fabric for traveling. It nice to have to keep rain out and gear in. They run about $600 to get made for both cockpit and bow area.

Comment

I always go topless, even with the rain, it is worth the cleaning/draining over the risk of messing up the gel coat.

I also have a spare prop that we take with us on long trips, but leave in the garage for day trips.

Comment

Papendorf check out rankincovers.com
                          Formertigeowners.com
                          I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Thanks to Lake Powell, I feel I can change a prop in less than 10 minutes. I have had too much practice. I always keep a spare with me. What would be an inconvenience becomes a trip ending catastrophe if you don't have the spare.

I don't tow with the cover on. I did with my previous boat and had a few minor scuffs that were easy to get out with some rubbing compound, so I leave it off.

You can send the prop to acme if you want it repaired. I think that they quoted me $85 when I last checked. Since my local (Las Vegas) shop charged me $105 for a single blade small job, I'll be sending it to acme next time.
                            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I have a custom snap down cover. I looked up a local guy that does convertible covers for antique cars and had him make it. There are pics in my gallery. This guy has done tops for Rolls Royce and the like. Great fit and he put felt padding under all seems where it touches gel coat. I hate bug splats on the windsheild and so forth. I wouldn't pull with out my cover.
                              As far as spare prop. I don't have one yet, but will be getting one soon. I might need FAE first.
                              My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X