2001 21v 350merc smoking from trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 21v 350merc smoking from trans

Day 1 of the season ran great for 4 hours. Day 2 ran great with 6 hours of surfing and cruising. Day 3 ran for a few hours, rested and got about 200 yards from the dock and died. Tried to crank it and the battery was dead. Towed back to the dock. Put in a new battery and it started right up, able to throttle in neutral but once I put it in gear it would cut off. I final was able to get it in gear and drove it around for 2 min before I started smelling burnt oil, headed back to the dock and there it sits waiting to be towed to the marina. What am I looking at?

Originally posted by Ccbassett View Post
    What am I looking at?
    Probably a computer screen.

Where was the smoking coming from? Sure it was smoke, not steam? Maybe the fluid is empty, heating up the case and evaporating the water around it. You really need to tell us what your looking at (what you see) as we can help you go from there. Maybe its not your trans at all. Maybe your starter stuck once you started the engine, that killed your battery. You replaced it, it got stuck again and heated up. You could have "smoke" coming from it and look like it was coming from your trans.

Not sure though, I can't see what youre looking at.

Comment

sounds like you need a good tune up. When was the last time you replaced all the fluids, and the spark plugs? The motor dying when you put it in gear makes me think plugs.

Comment

Working...
      X