22ve engine options and speed set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22ve engine options and speed set?

We are looking for either a 22v or 22ve.Were there different options as far as Hp goes?From what I'm reading the 06 seems to be the one to stay away from.The 24ve just seems a bit big for us,I actually like the 22i for the fact however the wife wants more room to move around.Is the 22ve preety much come with one motor,im not caught up on years but would like a fiberglass swimstep as well.

So by just the short of what you are saying. What will you use the boat for? The 22i will not work too well for surfing. If you are at altitude you will want a larger engine. I have an 07 24Ve and love it. The 22V is a fine boat however the 22 Ve will probably give you a little better surf wake.

I can say that your wife is right in wanting more room. For the year models you are looking at the 24Ve is probably the best choice IMHO. After some time owning a boat you will find that room inside becomes a premium.

If you can take a water test of each model and sit in it for a while. Choose what it is that your family really needs. You will get the one chance to buy the boat of your choice. As you know they are expensive so make sure to get the one you are most comfortable with purchasing for the reasons you feel best fit your needs.

If you have links to boats you are looking at, post them here and these members will give you their thoughts.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

If you have a family of 4 then get the 24v/ve. I have the 05 22V and seems like we are always tripping over each other changing out riders, docking or just hanging out in a cove. Its not bad when just out on a boat ride but that rarely happens. Then it gets exponentially worse as more passengers are added.

If I could choose between a 05 or 06 I would pick the 05. In 06 is when they went to the SpeedSet which i read problems about. Fortunately IDBoating is make a new touchpad for this (do forum search). That along with a nauticLogic gps upgrade I would think it would be reliable. That said, I like my perfect pass and I NautitLogic upgrade and its great. I have the Marine Power 340hp, 1433 ACME prop and our lake is <1000' elevation. I have sacked out with boat load of people and never hesitated getting on plane. These boats did have other motor options but honestly never seen anything other than the 340. going into newer models will start to see different motor options and hp up 380.

I would test drive both the 22 and 24's. worst case you buy a 22 and get a 24 later. The used market for tow boats is hot and you won't go wrong if you buy it right.

Comment

I bought my 22ve last spring and love it. When I was looking I would of bought either a 22 or 24 V or VE, but the 22ve just kind of fell into place. I would probably say to lean towards a VE if you have the option, its rated for more people than the other model. There is also a few very minor differences between the two including a very handy tweak to the stern of the boat adding some storage and a place to sit while putting boards on etc.

No need to worry about the speedset issues anymore, our prayers have finally been answered with IDBoating's panel.

As for engine options, there is an option for a larger MP engine, I cant remember exactly how many HP but I think its around the 380 mark, others would be able to verify that. I have the MP 5.7 340HP option and I have plenty of power, even with full ballasts with stock prop. My elevation is around 3500-4000 feet. The gas mileage was also much better than expected.

Comment

We live on a lake and want my young daughter to be able to try all sports including skiing.Were a family of 3 and plan to keep it that way.We will need to buy a lift since we just keep the old Malibu sitting in the water.With the new boat I'll want it out of the water.Seems the 24ve would require a much larger lift(I'm not sure).I also wonder bout makeing the tight turns at slalom course with larger then 22.Did the interior improve over the years as far as durability?

Comment

We have a 2009 24Ve, absolutely love it, and keep it on an AirDock. This is a big boat yet we do just great with a EX343 engine and Acme 1235 prop. We surf with a LOT of ballast (I mean a LOT!) and this engine does great. We're at about 2200 MSL.

Do a search on AirDock (or Air-Dock). There's a couple of them on our lake now. Far less expensive than a mechanical dock, and superior in every way IMHO.

Good luck on your search!

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
              We have a 2009 24Ve, absolutely love it, and keep it on an AirDock. This is a big boat yet we do just great with a EX343 engine and Acme 1235 prop. We surf with a LOT of ballast (I mean a LOT!) and this engine does great. We're at about 2200 MSL.

Do a search on AirDock (or Air-Dock). There's a couple of them on our lake now. Far less expensive than a mechanical dock, and superior in every way IMHO.

Good luck on your search!
              I've seen the air docks and have wondered about them.Most lifts on our lake seem to pop up over night on my lake.Nobody ever sees them installed they just appear.Docks seem to as well half the time.

Comment

AirDocks are awesome. Do a search here, we've discussed them many times so no need to rehash the same old stuff. 100% recommended, I have three of them so far!

EDIT: Their website is here.
                Last edited by IDBoating; 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

The 22V and 22Ve were not restricted to any single engine as i recall. Depending on the year, Tige offered 5.7L HP's from 315 up to I think a 405 6.2L In the 22V, the most popular was the MP 340 and PCM 343. IMO, the MP 340 had more ballz. You may find some with a 320 HP 5.7 and some with the larger 6.0 or 6.2, again, depending on year. I would not hesitate to own another 340 or even the 343.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is start thinking about your storage options before you go with a 22 foot vs 24 foot boat. In my last house, my boat would fit in my driveway but just barely, and I had to take off the swim platform every time. I now have a new house and the boat will fit in the garage (and im pumped!). I still have to take the platform off, but if I had a 24VE, it wouldn't fit in my garage. Just something to consider, I know you were talking about leaving it on a lift, but sometimes that extra 2 feet really messes up the storage options.

Comment

Storage won't be a issue I'm building a garage soon.Are speeds similar on 22ve and 24ve? As far as the airdock I really like them and how easy they are to install.The issue I guess I'd have is I need a canopy.Living in Washington it can be 80 today and rain tomorrow.Can you do a canopy with the airdock?

Comment

Are speeds similar on 22ve and 24ve?
                        Sure, as both are displacement hulls more than they are planing hulls.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                        X