Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Problem

My son broke the key off in the ignition switch, so I bought one from the dealer. the one they gave me has 4 prongs and the old one has 3. I replaced the switch but couldn't get the boat to start. I could get it to turn over, but it wouldn't fire. It was like the coil isn't getting any charge.
    I tried hooking the old switch back up, but still had the problem. can anyone recommend anything?

Brandon

there should be little letters on back of switch B=battery power red wire I=igntion purple wire S=starter yellow/red stripe. it sounds like you mixed up the wires take a look at back of swith and let me know what letters are back there and what color wires you are dealing with.
    Last edited by kko; 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

thanks kko...you are right about the colors, but I tried every possible combination and the closest I got was actually getting the engine to crank while the key was on the ON position...not the START position.

Brandon

Comment

did you look on the back of switch for the little letters? if boat worked before key was broken off you have to have something crosssed. look at back of old and new switch and look for the letters "I" "B+"OR"B" "S" and the one with 4 prongs will most likley have an "A" =accesory getting the right color wire to the correct letter will be your fix.what year and model boat do you have?
        B OR B+= BATTERY POWER- RED WIRE
        I = IGNITION -PURPLE WIRE
        S= START- YELLOW/RED STRIPED WIRE
        if you switch has a "M" on the back thats for magnito and would be for an outboard and would not work in your boat.
        thats why you need to check the letters on the back of the switch.
        Last edited by kko; 08-10-2006, 11:05 PM.

Comment

my boat is a 2001 21V. I will give it your sequences a shot and report back. thanks!

Bg

Comment

still no luck on my problem. taking the boat in to the dealer on tuesday.

brandon

Comment

Working...
            X