Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a hard time nailing down the right boat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a hard time nailing down the right boat.

We went to look at a 07 24ve this weekend,I'm not sure you'd find a cleaner one.The issue we had was no factory ballast and the fact it may just be to much boat size wise for us.I have looked at centurions and like the boats but the quality just doesn't seem to be there as far as hinges etc.The Nautique sv211 really is very well built but lacks the sexy look on the water in my opinion. I live on a lake so I see alot of boats.I've never had a chance to see a 22i in person however they do look very sleek.Is the amount of room all that much different from say the 22ve or rz2?

I don't think I can provide feedback on all of this, but will try to help where I can.

24ve being to big of a boat for your needs. I can see this, especially if you are going to be towing your boat. If you live on a lake and have a lift that will accommodate the weight of the boat, or willing to get one, then unless you have size restrictions on your lake, you just have more room to spread out. Considering it sounds like this boat has been very well cared for, and assuming it's in your price range, then it seems like a good deal. Finding a good clean, well cared for 9 year old boat is not an easy task.

Not having ballast, is considered a plus to several owners. This way, you don't have outdated gear that you would most likely have to replace or work around anyway. TO (and a few other forums ) have the best ballast support around, Mike from Mike's Liquid Audio - TO Handle Chpthril This guys has helped several of us walk through ballast installation/upgrades. His pricing is very competitive and his knowledge and service cannot be beat. Hell, he convinced me that I could cut a hole in my ballast bag, install a new port and sure enough, with his help I did and it even sealed!!

What do you plan to do with the boat? Ski, wakeboard, surf.... If you are going to surf, you most likely would be best off staying away from the 22i, the V-Drive boats in general surf better.

I am not going to lie, many of the Centurion boats, produce a very good wakeboard and surf wave due to the design of the Deep V hull - same reason many Tiges put out a great wave. I honestly think that Fineline (Centurion) is top notch on their fiberglass and gel coat production/finish. Some boats you will see "waves" when looking down the side of the hull, I haven't noticed this much with Fineline boats. Tige does a pretty good job with this as well. I am not a fan of some of the interior fit/finish/features of the Centurion boats, especially going back 6-10 years. With that regard, it really is more of a personal taste thing.

I have no feedback regarding the interior of the 22Ve vs. RZ2

Good luck in your hunt!! Boat shopping is fun.
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Basically have that 24ve just a year older. Huge surf wave, and I will say that I was pleased to find that there was no ballast in mine when I bought it, that way I could do whatever I wanted with the ballast. The wakeboard wake is good, but can be a bear to dial in, but when it's dialed in wow it's huge. As a previous Centurion owner, Dandy is spot on! They are clean and they do produce a good wave. Although the fit and finish and the little details are lacking. I beat brakes of my centurion as first time boat owner and it ran like a clock till the day I traded it in on my Tige. The 24ve is a big heavy bost, no doubt but it rides very well in chop and has plenty of room for all your friends. Plus you will never get the buyers regret of getting a bigger model since 24 foot is about as big as you can get in the wakeboat world. Good luck.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

If the boat fits the garage/hoist/tow vehicle that you have, then go for it! I have a 22Ve that had no factory ballast when I bought it, very pleased with what it does. I would of been fine with a 24Ve...

Comment

.The issue we had was no factory ballast
          Honestly, id mark this in the "Pro" column. The 06-08 ballast design was , well, not too helpful when the time came to expand it for surfing or boarding.

The Nautique sv211 really is very well built but lacks the sexy look on the water in my opinion
          Are you wanting a surf boat?

The 22ve will seem way bigger than a 22i due to the open seating. The ve will also produce a better surf and wake board wake.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have the 07 24Ve and love it! As mentioned, having no factory ballast is great. Lots of room in the lockers. I got a couple "temporary" ballast bags last year and plan to do a full MLA package soon. We have 3 kids but almost never go out without other family members/friends, etc. Plenty of room in the boat. Wife and girls love the big sundeck that comes with the v-drives. Biggest thing for me is how this boat handles rough water. We've been out on the Puget Sound a few times in heavy seas and the large freeboard is great peace of mind. I don't feel like we could be swamped at any minute by a passing tug boat wake. We started out wakeboarding and tubing but now everyone likes surfing. I should have the older kids hopeless this summer. Plenty of room for gear throughout.

Comment

What are your concerns about the bigger boat? Unless it's a storage issue, I think you would find yourself never regretting getting the bigger boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by GzeroX5 View Post
                I have the 07 24Ve and love it! As mentioned, having no factory ballast is great. Lots of room in the lockers. I got a couple "temporary" ballast bags last year and plan to do a full MLA package soon. We have 3 kids but almost never go out without other family members/friends, etc. Plenty of room in the boat. Wife and girls love the big sundeck that comes with the v-drives. Biggest thing for me is how this boat handles rough water. We've been out on the Puget Sound a few times in heavy seas and the large freeboard is great peace of mind. I don't feel like we could be swamped at any minute by a passing tug boat wake. We started out wakeboarding and tubing but now everyone likes surfing. I should have the older kids hopeless this summer. Plenty of room for gear throughout.
                W actually live on Long Lake,are you in port orchard?

Comment

The concerns I have are a like a bit old school sleek look as well as 90% of the time its my daughter,wife and I out for a quick lap around the lake on a week day.We do have friends over on weekend ocasionally but for the most part its a just a few in it.Since we have a dock normally we dont take everyone one out since we can just go back and swap them out as needed.I do live very close to the slalom course and would like my daughter(shes 3) to grow up and know the feel of a early morning glass water pull.I think the 24ve would just be to big to do so.Can the 22ve do OK for skiing.I realize the younger generation has moved on from the skiing essentialy but however id like her to at least know and be able to do most watersports.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmt View Post
                    W actually live on Long Lake,are you in port orchard?
                    Up near Poulsbo, but we mostly go to Mason Lake. A little far for us (1 hour) but its big and clean.

Comment

I haven't had the chance to ski behind my 22ve but my father loved the wake as he's an "old" slalom guy. I came From a 20 ft I/O and the 22ve felt huge for about a week. After that I was wishing I'd held out for the 24ve. That being said I absolutely love this boat, does everything!
                      "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

The 22ve is fine for slalom skiing. It isn't a DD by any means but I had no issues cutting behind mine. Its an all around watersports boat IMO, meaning it has a great wake for whatever watersport you want to tackle.

Comment

As every one has said it depends on your use. Our family picked the 22i because we like to ski more and we have no desire to lay on the sun pad. The 22i's wake is not competition level for the slalom course but it is close. For wakeboarding, TAPS 2 does a good job of tweaking the wake for the rider. Surfing means that you are almost riding on the platform and with no ballast beside people, the wake is a mole hill compared to pictures of others I have seen on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X