Perfect Pass fades, then doesnt work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect Pass fades, then doesnt work

Hi Everyone! I scanned the forums and found similar issues, but none exactly like what I've got so I wanted to throw my issue out there and see what people think. Here goes:

Boat is a 2001 2300V

Last summer my perfect pass worked awesome. However, as the summer went on, the digital display gauge would slowly start to dim. Sometimes it would take all day before the display began to dim. Sometimes I couldnt see the display anymore, but I knew the PP was still working. Each day that I would go out, the screen would work in the morning, and by the evening, it would be faded. As the summer came to an end, the screen wouldnt even turn on at all. Once the screen wouldnt turn on, the PP wasnt working. I called PP and they said that I needed a new screen. So I bought one. I bought it a month ago (winter). I went down to my boat and installed it. It didnt work great, but it worked. So I took a chance and plugged in the OLD screen. Guess what... It worked better than the new one I just bought! So now I'm scratching my head. Why is it working now, but last summer is slowly deteriorated until it didnt work at all. Mind you, the boat was not running when I plugged in the old unit. Then my buddy start playing with switches (I'm not really sure why), but when he hit the blower motor switch, the PP reset itself! It just turned off, and acted like it booted right back up. Then, when he would QUICKLY change the polarity on the TAPS system, the PP would do the same thing.

This weekend I'm going to run a separate 12v lead from the battery to the PP and put it on its own switch. My question is: do you think a weak 12v signal is what was causing my issues last summer? Or is there another issue I'm not yet aware of? Any help is a HUGE help! Thanks everyone!

I have heard perfect pass is sensitive to low voltage so I bet getting solid power and ground will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
      I have heard perfect pass is sensitive to low voltage so I bet getting solid power and ground will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I've heard that as well! But I'm not sure that explains the slow deterioration of PP over the course of last summer. That's what I'm Nervous about.

Comment

Well... I put the boat in the water on sunday. Started it up, perfect pass lit up no problem. Within 5 minutes, the screen faded and shut off. However, I know the unit was still working because at one point, I tried to accelerate and the boat wouldnt allow it. I hit the "off" button on the PP and the boat picked up speed.

I called PP yesterday and the tech mentioned something about "electrical noise" on the servo cable. Or the LCD screen is bad. Has anyone had to deal with this? Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I've considered a few things:

1) The servo cable is too close to my spark plug wires and the wires are sending electrical interference.
        2) The servo cable runs along the floor of the bildge and may be getting wet.
        3) When I re-mounted my subwoofer (and added extra power to it), the signal is interfering with the main unit (which is close by).

So far those are the only 3 things I can think of, just shy of replacing the LCD screen or the entire system. Anyone any thoughts? All ideas welcome!

Comment

Working...
        X