Over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over heating

I ran threw some cruddy water yesterday. Ever since then I have been overheating. I had to nurse the boat back to the trailer. What can I do to in clog or fix? Some spacific information would be really helpful. I have never done this before. Thanks in advance.
    ScottyB

Overheating

I did the same today after some heavy rains and severe runoff at Patagonia (by Tucson AZ). I've removed my hoses and am going to try flushing them tonight.

My boat kept dying after going from wakeless to full throttle is how I noticed it. And sure enough, it was overheating too.

I tried flushing with the toilet plunger, but water didn't seem to be going in.

Let me know if you hear of a fix

Regards.

Comment

My friend had the same thing happen with his 21i. The hose at the water inlet was full of debris. After he cleaned it it worked great

Comment

Originally posted by race fan
        My friend had the same thing happen with his 21i. The hose at the water inlet was full of debris. After he cleaned it it worked great

Are you refering to the to of the v-drive assenbly? I think that is where the "screne" is. I found a diagram at http://www.tigeowners.com/downloads/walter_vdrive.pdf
        Can anyone agree?
        ScottyB

Comment

FOUND IT!!!

I followed the water intake tube threw the main housing on the v-drive. I opened that up... it was clean. Then I followed the tube out to, I think the trans. fluid cooler. I took the hose off the "in" and the whole compartment was solid, full if debris. So I disconnected the trans fluid lines and the water "in" tube as well as the water "out". Be careful not to dump the red fluid out of it. Took it to the sink and cleaned the hell out of it. I dont think I will have any more problems.
          ScottyB

Comment

thats a very comon problem here in fla. you might want to look into a sea strainer they are not that expensive easy to install and will keep this from becoming a comon problem. it only takes a minute at most to check and clean it everytime out and an can save you lots of headaches.we have them on all the tiges we sell here at fortes inboard connection and recomend them to every one that brings there boat in for service that does not have one. it usually only takes one time overheating and they get one installed.

Comment

KKO,

Would you mind explaining exactly what needs to be ordered, how to install and inspect?

Thanks in advance for your time

Comment

the sea strainer is like an inline filter. it has a plastic cup you scew off to access the metal screen/filter part. water passes through it on the way to the motor but any debris is caught by the screen. what boat do you have? model year and make. i will be in texas for the rest of the week checking out the rz2 but ill get back with you on how to install it on your exact boat.

Comment

here is a picture of a sea strainer. got it fro skidim.com you have to make sure u get right size let me know about your boat and if you have anyother?? ill be back monday. kko
                  Last edited by kko; 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I have a 2005 24V.

Thanks!

Comment

My strainer, probably installed by KKO since that is where I bought my boar, is on a 22v and it is mounted into a bracket, not sure if it comes with it, and that is screwed to the seat back above the transmission/v-drive respectively. There is a barbed 90-degree inlet and outlet and the water intake hose goes straight to that, then from the strainer to the rest of the cooling system like normal. I can take a picture of it when I get home and post it tonight if you would like.

Here is the Sherwood website that talks about the strainers and the bracket.
                      http://www.hypropumps.com/Marine/downloads/strainer.pdf

Comment

I can't figure out how you guys have so much trouble with overheating and getting clogged.

There is NO clean water down here, alot is full of clay. What type of debris is getting in there, sand and rocks? If thats the case then yeah no rocks to speak of around here, and sand s just fine river sand, so it passes right on through.
                        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

What I pull out of my strainer is sea grass or hydrilla, which is a huge problem on most of the lakes here is Florida.

Comment

multch mostly. With the monsoons that we have here in AZ it washes everything from land to lake.
                            ScottyB

Comment

I thought AZ had some pretty serious restrictions on types of fertilizer and mulch that could be used in yards....b/c it all ends up in the storm drains, and then out to the lakes.....

That really sucks. I guess b/c everything stays wet here year round, and its all flat, its not such an issue. Just need to do the yearly rinsing down on the circulation systems to keep it clean.
                              http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                              []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Working...
                              X