New to the forum and V Drives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum and V Drives!

I grew up wakeboarding and skiing behind outboards and I/O's and was finally able to purchase my own boat so I went with a 1999 21v riders edition. I'm hoping to get everything in working order by spring, here's what's on the list so far:

-TAPS isn't working. Previous owner said it was acting up then finally quit on him. Where should I start troubleshooting or should I just get a new pump and hope that's it? Any advice on where to get one or troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Guid pole on the trailer is rusted stuck and I need to remove them to fit in the garage.

-Winterizing tips

-Steering is extremely stiff. Same situation as the TAPS, any troubleshooting or advice on where and what kind of steering cable would be extremely helpful!!

-Perfect pass recommendations. I'm way too picky of a rider to have a friend try to keep the speed by throttle control especially if they're not used to the boat.

I plan on getting into surfing now as well so any set up info for this boat I should try out? I've got a phat sack for both sides in the rear. I know searching through the forums can get me a long way with all of these questions, and they have!!! But I figured this would be a good way to get my feet wet. And if there is any general tips for this boat I'm all ears! Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's tons of good info here. Steering cable will probably need to be replaced. There's usually the part # on it on one end or the other. As far as the taps, does the motor run? Is there fluid? It looks like a Washington boat, where are you located? Oh, and welcome to Tige Owners!

Comment

Wouldn't replace taps pump until you check all electrical. Start with the throttle handle as those older models were prone to short out wires in the handle. There are a couple modules under the dash also that are for the taps and they should be labeled. I would start with wiring though before ordering anything.

Comment

TAPS: my guess, module/relay assembly or switch in throttle.

Steering stiff: replace cable. This is like doing brakes on a car, they wear out

Guide pole make sure you loosened the set screws along with pulling the safety pin

Perfect Pass Stargazer

Tower: upgrade it

Congrats and welcome to the tige forum
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks guys!! I'll go through the electrical this weekend for the TAPS. Yes it is a Washington boat, been on lake sammamish most of its life and I'll be using it mostly on lake Washington. Definitely going to be replacing the tower as well but that's on the back burner until I get all these issues settled!

Comment

Congrats and Welcome to Tige Owners. I would start with the steering cable as your #1 replacement, they can break from being to stiff. Taps would take a few hours to troubleshoot, but there are lots of threads and guys here that have rebuilt the entire system so they should be able to narrow it down pretty quick for you. Perfect Pass Stargazer is a super cool upgrade, and from what I hear a pretty simple install.
            Winterizing is kind of one of those things it depends on who you ask. At a minimum, pull the blue plugs off the motor should be 5 (assuming you have the Merc 350 Mag MPI) and drain all the water out of it. However here is my technique that works for me:
            1. Run the boat to temp on the hose. (Basically you want the thermostat to be open)
            (1.5) insert Engine Oil and Filter change here if you so choose.
            2. Have 5 gallons of RV/Marine Ecosafe antifreeze (PINK STUFF) in bucket.
            3. Shut the boat off after it hits temp, and put the hose in the Anti freeze, and start the boat to let the impeller suck the antifreeze into the motor.
            4. Run it until all the anti freeze is out of the bucket, it should be straight antifreeze coming out of the exhaust by the time the bucket is empty.
            5. Hook up onboard charger, or remove batteries and keep in warm place.
            6. Fill the boat with gas, add Marine Sta-bil or SeaFoam (or both)
            7. Drink a beer, cry a little, and start counting days till May.
            That's is a simple end of season winterization, others will have different opinions I am sure.

Again Congrats, let us know if you need any help.
            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Congrats on the new boat. Everyone here has the answers. I too with my 1998 have replaced the cable and had taps issues. Mine was low fluid and handle disconnect. More than likely someone has had the same problem and can help trouble shoot.

Comment

Now that I think about it I don't remember hearing a click in the dash when messing with the TAPS switch so I'm hoping it's the wires leading to the switch so I'll pop that off and take a look when I get home. And I'll be keeping it in the garage and hopefully take it out for a few cruises before spring to make sure she's ready for summer so I'm thinking draining the block is all I'll need to do. Thanks for the advise!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexgarcia3292 View Post
                  Now that I think about it I don't remember hearing a click in the dash when messing with the TAPS switch so I'm hoping it's the wires leading to the switch so I'll pop that off and take a look when I get home. And I'll be keeping it in the garage and hopefully take it out for a few cruises before spring to make sure she's ready for summer so I'm thinking draining the block is all I'll need to do. Thanks for the advise!!

Mine has a relay they all connect too is on the right of the steering wheel somewhere. That's where mine came off.

Comment

Does your boat have a heater, if so make sure that thing has absolutely no water in it for the winter. It will freeze and break the heater core and it will leak constantly.
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Yes it does and thank you!! I'll drain that and the block tomorrow and hold it on a hill for a while to try to get all the excess water out. Pulled up the floor and discovered I've got the 40 gal gas tank so running the steering cable over the top shouldn't be too much of a project. And I've narrowed the taps issue to the handle! I'm getting really lucky so far and thanks for all the help!

Comment

Looks great for a '99. Congrats!! I went from an '86 Bayliner to my Tige. You're in for a treat!!

Comment

Alex, Nice to see you picked up this boat from Seattle. I was eyeing this boat myself but couldn't justify the price. Congrats on Tige ownership, and I hope to be joining y'all soon!

Comment

Originally posted by tige4life View Post
                            Alex, Nice to see you picked up this boat from Seattle. I was eyeing this boat myself but couldn't justify the price. Congrats on Tige ownership, and I hope to be joining y'all soon!
                            I talked him down to 17500 and it seems to be in great shape with a nice tandem trailer. I'm happy with it so far and wasn't going to let a v drive with wrap around seating slip through my fingers, hope I didn't over pay too much but if it gives me years of fun it's all worth it!

Comment

Working...
                            X