Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps 3 - weighted on one side only

Hey guys,

Decision coming up in the next month about which direction to go in.............Taps 3 or AVX; I have decided that our 24ve's wave isn't going to get any better and since we primarily surf I am going to step up to a Z3.

I get that the Taps 3 is a game changer but all the videos show the boat set up for a transfer, which means both rear ballast tanks are full. Anybody out there try surfing with only one side filled, so I can compare the wake to the AVX?

Thanks
    Paul Middlemore

If it were me avx all the way!
    surf till u die.

Comment

I don't have a video of the taps 3 listed but saw Chris kinsey out on a Z1 with the taps 3 listed and the thing is amazing with only a couple extra ppl on board and stock weight. If it were me I would definitely go Taps 3 as you can choose to list or not list and either way you will have plenty of wave with lots of push. I doubt you will want to list after seeing what the taps 3 wave can do. It is quite impressive with just stock weight etc. Either way you will love the Z3!

Comment

I was leaning towards the AVX but really don't want to pull the trigger and then kick myself in the tail later.
        I appreciate the info JLG but as you can believe, I really want to see that setup before committing. We don't have anyone with a Z3 in our area so even getting out on one isn't a reality.
        Paul Middlemore

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

We are in the North Idaho area: good news is we should get a dealer here in the next couple of months. Hoping to have the first sale at the official opening but obviously need to determine which system on the Z3. Just got back from a week at Dworshak State Park near Orofino; great water and the surfing was outstanding again on our 24ve, but we lack the long size so stepping up is definitely on the horizon.
            Paul Middlemore

Comment

Just tonight I added 250 extra lbs to my 24Ve bow and I was amazed. Wave got longer by 3-4' and had similar push and nicer transition. I usually just run the u shaped bow sac (350ish lbs), but was reading a thread last week and decided to try this. I was IMPRESSED with results.

Just in case you hadn't tried bigger bow weight. It made tonight a blast!

Originally posted by Paul Middlemore View Post
              We are in the North Idaho area: good news is we should get a dealer here in the next couple of months. Hoping to have the first sale at the official opening but obviously need to determine which system on the Z3. Just got back from a week at Dworshak State Park near Orofino; great water and the surfing was outstanding again on our 24ve, but we lack the long size so stepping up is definitely on the horizon.
              Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

We have run just about every combination there is possible out there. Always have the bow at 700+. Unfortunately the 24ve is limited as it doesn't have AVX. The Z3 is the answer (if one stays with Tige) in my opinion based on forum submittals and videos; hence the future step up. Actually I am going to start detailing it tomorrow and get it up for sale; can hardly justify the purchase of another boat with this one in the yard..............
                Paul Middlemore

Comment

You my friend have and insatiable appetite for waves! I took a couple poor MC and Malibu owners out on mine and they nearly sh'd their p's at the wave my Ve was pumping out. But I do agree, the newer ones are a bit better. In this case you are looking for better than already really good! Love it.

Good luck! I am going to try to milk satisfaction out of my Ve for another season, then onward and upward toward convenience most likely. (Taps3, surfgate, swell....something level and quickly switched)
                  Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

If I was buying, I would go for TAPS3. It is the future. I think the smartest thing is to wait one more year so they can figure out how to combine TAPS3 and AVX.

I'd love to see a fuel usage comparison between TAPS3 and AVX.

Comment

Well you are in the same situation as I; trying to get the most out of what we have. Damn boats are turning into I-Phone systems, just wait a week and something new hits the market. We thought about waiting another season as you mentioned but we figured we might as well step now and get the pain over with as soon as possible (yeah right, paying for that sucker for some years) but I still haven't yet determined AVX or Taps 3. I would agree with 18c that the AVX was designed for the wakesurf.

Hey JLG, you are in CDA right? I have only seen the one Z1 out on the water and didn't think it had Taps 3. I normally run the river; I usually run in the morning and then my son takes over for late afternoon, evening stuff; normally a younger crowd then.

Actually the guy who is going to become the new Tige dealer up here, took a ride behind my boat and then started on the quest to acquire one which resulted in him moving in the direction of dealership.
                      Paul Middlemore

Comment

Paul, where is the new dealership gonna be? I live just west of Spokane and it would be awesome to have a closer dealer.

Comment

They haven't made the official announcement yet and as you can imagine everything is tentative but it sounds like the first town east of Washington about five miles from the border on I90. That should narrow it down.
                          Paul Middlemore

Comment

That's great news, it would put me about 8 miles from that new dealer. Is it an existing dealership or a brand new business?
                            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Stancraft is about at those coordinates....

Comment

Working...
                              X