Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter or Ignition switch issue?

Hello all,
    Just looking for a little advice on how to proceed.
    For the past few weeks when I go to start the boat, I just get a clicking sound from the starter. Repeated turns of the key eventually turns the motor over and it starts.

It sounds like a starter issue but before I replace it - just curious if it could be the ignition switch?

Its a 2003 22v riders edition.

If I need to replace it (Ill do it myself) any recommendations on where to pick one up at a decent price?

Thanks
    -Rob

Sounds like a battery issue to me, maybe a ground.

I'd check voltage at battery (across terminals) then work down from there. Voltage from B+ to engine block both static and while cranking.

Comment

Test the yellow with red wire on the starter for voltage when the key is turned, it should show battery voltage when you try to start it. If it does and nothing happens on the starter, replace the starter. If it doesn't show voltage the problem could be either the relay or the start solenoid on the motor, not the starter.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Read through this thread... Had some trouble starting my '03 also... Replaced the starter solenoid/relay on the top of the motor, and haven't had any problems since.. Costs around $30 and took 10 minutes to change.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...gnition-Switch

Comment

Thanks Bryan - just ordered the part from the local Oreilly auto parts - 22 bucks.
          I will pick it up tomorrow and report back. Would be great it its a nice cheap fix!

Comment

Had the same happen. You are on the right track. Be sure to disconnect the batteries before you start the work though.

Comment

I had a similar issue; turned out one of my batteries was bad as I had appreciable voltage drop at starter. Replaced key with push button start. Power button and starter buttons were $25 ebay and Amazon. Now key is hidden for anti-theft.

Comment

rob_and_trish, I'm having a similar issue on my 01 2100v, did the solenoid fix the problem? I ran through a series of voltage tests and so far I've narrowed it down to a voltage drop on the battery or ground cables, bad solenoid, or bad starter. I still need to load test the battery too but it's showing 12.55 volts and cranks the engine over fine (when it decides to crank)

Comment

I noticed when my solenoid was starting to go that the engine would crank only after tapping the ignition a few times when the engine was cold. Once it warmed up it was fine.. I changed the solenoid because I didn't want to get to the lake one day and it not start at all.
                  Last edited by Bryan; 04-13-2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

So I did replace the solenoid, but the issue was still there.
                    I finally decided to replace the starter. So I pulled the starter out, and someone had put black tape to cover the power lead to the starter. It had apparently melted and dripped down thru the wires enough to the point where it would interfere w/ the connection.
                    I pulled it apart, and redid the connection and all is well.

Very strange, I have never seen that before.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That makes sense because I'm leaning toward a corroded connection of the ground or battery cable. I still need to test this voltage drop but I just need a second person to turn the key, should be able to do that tonight. FYI, I found this great write up on testing the starter, it's very helpful.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-...on-car-tests-1

Does anyone know if the link below is the correct starter for my 2001 2100V with a 5.7 Mercruiser Magnum? It appears to be and for this price I may just replace it while I'm in there cleaning up the battery and ground cables. I've used DB Electrical in the past for alternators and had good luck.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2231-...lvo-penta.aspx

Comment

That's the same starter I put on my 2000. Not enough time on it to say how well they last though.

Comment

Working...
                        X