Continual overheating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continual overheating issues

I have changed 3 impellers in no more than 30 hrs use. Most recently I installed the 3rd after 10 hrs. It has been my default repair when the temp gauge spikes but tonight the engine ran hot and the pump froze up after an 1 hr on the new impeller. I am totally frustrated by what to do next! I will take any and all suggestions on what to check.

My boat is a 2000 2100v with 370 hrs use and I have put 6 impellers in the boat. Please, somebody tell me they have had similar issues.

Thanks for the input.

bpippin

What is the condition of the housing? Is there any cracks in it or grooves and wear marks on the inside?

Comment

Check your cooler. Mine overheated yesterday for the first time ever. Cooler was full of debris from all of our flooding.

It's in line from the vdrive to the impeller and A PITA to get out.

Comment

Most likely a damaged housing if its eating impellers as mentioned probably worth back flushing the intake. Also a leak could let air in which will cause issues too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a little troubleshooting this morning after letting the engine cool down overnight. It seems the pulley on the raw water pump has seized up. I am thinking that I have been treating the symptom but not the problem. I am now thinking that the entire housing should be replaced. Before spending $400 for this equipment I would like more input from my Tige friends.

Thanks for the info thus far.

Comment

If you have a Merc and it has a composite housing, id replace it. One good over heat or dry run and the housing gets out of shape and/or grooved.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Your Mercruiser is not going to have the inline cooler either.

Comment

Replace the pump then have your old one rebuilt and keep as a spare onboard. The bearing going out was causing the impellers do die early and then the bearing finally seized. As long as the housing is still within tolerance it can be rebuilt.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                  Your Mercruiser is not going to have the inline cooler either.
                  My bad, just tossing it out there. I wish my marine power didn't have one.

Comment

Working...
                  X