What's this hole in my engine for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this hole in my engine for?

IMG_20150619_110338.jpg'08 Z1. I see a hole in my engine at the top. Just wondering what it's for? No issues with boat. Just curious.

I hope pic works, first time posting pic.

I am completely guessing here but looks to be an access point so the coupler between the engine and transmission can be greased. But just a guess.

Comment

Did some sort of cover for it fall off or something? Never noticed this before. Should I be concerned?

Comment

I would think a plastic piece goes in there.. I have seen them on starters before? No idea why... help anyone?

Comment

Anyone else have a Z1 that they can check for me? Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

That's just a visual inspection port, usually filled with a plastic plug but not a big deal if it's not. However, you do have the capability of adding a rear/top mount starter in that spot directly below that spot, behind the two bolt cover. HOWEVER!!! You cannot add the rear mount starter without removing the flywheel and moving the ring gear engine aft to accommodate it.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

from my guess either A it came like that as a defect in the steel or B something happened to it just not sure what if you look at the hole it isnt made by a drill or something of that nature do to having uneven edges but that doesnt mean there is a problem unless oil is squirting out i wouldnt worry to much

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. Makes me feel much better!!!

Comment

It would have had a red plastic cap in that hole.

Comment

Working...
                  X