07 rz4 taps only has 3 volts to it and won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07 rz4 taps only has 3 volts to it and won't work

So I bought a new to me 07 rz4 and the taps didn't work. I bought a new Bennett pump and the taps started working but the gauge did not. That lasted 2 days now the taps doesn't work. After testing everything I have found there is only 3 volts coming from the power wires that feed the relay for the tAps. I switched breakers thinking that was the problem but still only have 3 volts. I am out of ideas any suggestions?

Well I found the problem. One of my batteries was only at 3 volts. I am still not sure how this thing is wired up from the factory. I appears one battery is only for starting the motor and everything else in the boat is off the other battery. Little different than my 22v i had last year. So after charging the battery up I have trim again but my guage still does not work.

Comment

And to add to the fun i found that the switch wires where caught in the metal shifting mechanism and stripped out causing it to short out in to constant up position while running. This is why the previous owner had a bad trim tab pump. All is working well now. Just need to get the trim gauge working pretty sure the mechanism in the actuator arm that sends the position is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by skibumsd View Post
        And to add to the fun i found that the switch wires where caught in the metal shifting mechanism and stripped out causing it to short out in to constant up position while running. This is why the previous owner had a bad trim tab pump. All is working well now. Just need to get the trim gauge working pretty sure the mechanism in the actuator arm that sends the position is bad.
        I had an 01 20i do that in shift lever. Took awhile to track down and a PITA to fix as there isn't much room in the levers to solder back together. At the time I looked at getting a new switch and you had to purchase the entire arm for around $350! So soldering it is what I did and it still works several years later. Just heat shrink it good!

Comment

I recently replaced the wiring in my throttle with this stuff..
          http://www.componentshop.co.uk/cable...-cables/22-awg
          super flexible anddead easy to solder as it's tinned copper. commonly used for RC models etc.

I also fitted a 3 pole automotive connector so it's not a massive pain to take the throttle out!

Comment

Working...
          X