My new 3-blade prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new 3-blade prop

I replaced my prop after bending my old 4 blade Acme on a submerged log (along with a few other parts). My dealer talked me into one of the new style Acme 3 blades because they had just started putting them on all their boats. They claimed it out-performed the 4-blades. It made a huge difference for me. Check out the blades...they're very much like a Jet Ski impeller. Lots of surface area. I'd posted this a while back on another thread, but I finally have a picture of it.
    Attached Files
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

what performance diffs have you noticed, both weighted boat and unweighted?

Comment

Better hole shot (less cavitation), higher top end and overall more responsive at all RPM ranges.

The prop is pushing so much water that it's the first time I've seen a noticeable strain on the engine itself (i.e., lower WOT RPM on initial hole shot). Not sure if I'm explaining it that well, but the gist of it is that it's easier to find your initial speed setting because you have better throttle response.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

How do you think a 3blade would work on a 24v,skiing,surfing,ect throttle control during both?

Comment

Good question. That boat's quite a bit heavier than mine.

Comment

wow, dog

That does have a lot of suface area.

Amazing what they are doing with CNC's these days...
            "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
              Amazing what they are doing with CNC's these days...
              I was skeptical, but the performance blew me away. If you have a 22 or smaller, this is THE prop! I'm not sure about larger boats, but when I load up with ballast and people, it still performs well. Now I wish I had a bigger moter

Comment

specs?

Yo dog,
                can you post the specs on that Acme? I have a similar prop for my 21v riders ed. and am not that happy w/it. I'll find out what mine is and compare w/yours. Also, what was the $? thanks...
                Love your little ones!

Comment

I dinged my prop this weekend at the boat ramp (lake's getting very low). Just a small dent, no big deal, but I ended up doing a prop change.

My four blade was actually an OJ 13x13. My new prop is an Acme 525 13x11.5. I took a picture of the two props side-by-side. It's amazing how big that 3-blade Acme is.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Need advice quick, vacation next week.

We are leaving this saturday for a week on Deep Creek Lake in Md, so I want the Tige in top shape.

I have a 99'2100v with about 413 hours. Mid last year, I hit a rock, slow speed, at the ramp. It rolled 2 blades about an inch. I have a 13*13 4 blade OJ. I put on my spare, a 13*13.5 OJ and while the primary was in the shop. I had a small vibration that I attibuted to the old prop having a few small dings. When the other prop came back from the shop, it was beautiful, but the small vibration persisted. It seems to have gotten worse this weekend, espcially when heavy loaded. I grabbed the shaft and tried to wiggle to see if strut bushings seemed sloppy, but it all feels tight. I saw a regarding coupler bolts and will check that.

My question....
                    Should I scrap the OJ for the ACME ???
                    What size for mix of wakeboarding and skiing ??
                    I have a dial indicator, how do I check for shaft straightness ??
                    How do you tell if you need strut bushings ??

Thanks
                    Scott

Comment

Sounds like you bent your shaft. I'd have that checked out by your dealer or qualified mechanic ASAP, especially since the prop was engaged when you hit. They have tools for measuring the tolerances.

I was a bit more fortunate this time because my boat was in neutral when I hit.

Comment

Do not have a local inboard expert.....

I do not have a local shop. The nearest inboard shop is 1 1/2 hours.
                        I have a very skilled machine shop friend, how and where do you measure the saft for straightness ??

Comment

Re: Do not have a local inboard expert.....

Originally posted by jciscott
                          I do not have a local shop. The nearest inboard shop is 1 1/2 hours.
                          I have a very skilled machine shop friend, how and where do you measure the saft for straightness ??
                          Bummer. That's a good question. The lake we're usually on is a hour away from my nearest dealer so that would be good to know.

Anyone from Tige or a Tige dealer want to let us know how you would go about determining if your shaft is bent?

Comment

Hey Dog,
                            Where can I get that 3 blade prop? I was at my dealer yesterday and told me that three blade props were made for I-drives not v-drives. He told me to put a 4 blade on my 2000 21V. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by do420jc
                              Hey Dog,
                              Where can I get that 3 blade prop? I was at my dealer yesterday and told me that three blade props were made for I-drives not v-drives. He told me to put a 4 blade on my 2000 21V. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
                              Call up Acme Propeller and tell them you want the 525. Have them send you a prop puller when you order your prop or else you'll need to pick one up from the dealer.
                              Last edited by dogbert; 08-11-2006, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X