PSS seal leaks under exceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSS seal leaks under exceleration

First day out and I noticed the bilge turning on as I was surfing.
    I then crawled in storage compartment and when the boat was under heavy exceleration (surfing) the water would leak (spray) between the seal SS collar and boot.

The Only thing I did different from last year was installing a 1433 prop.
    Can I just move the collar down comprising the boot more? Should I start over by loosing and and compressing it down 3/4"?

Can this be done with boat in water or out? Didn't know if there was another seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try compressing the boot, it can be done in the water but water will leak in. There will be two set screws per hole.

Comment

Update: When I removed the first two set screws they were tight but when I removed the second set of set screws they were loose. I had a smile to my face cause i thought I found the culprit and thought of human error from the last person who worked on it. I marked the currently position with a sharpie and when I slid the collar up it only had a 1/4"-3/8" compression. I was even more joyed at this point. I then did a quarter rotation so to have fresh stainless for the new set screws. Compressed the collar down 3/4" and torqued the first screw to 6 ft lbs and and then the locking set screw. Here it comes...I then started on the second set screw and when it got tight and before the torque wrench would "pop" the screw felt like it stripped. I stopped immediately for fear of making it worse. It was tight but wouldn't go to 6lbs. I inserted the locking set screw and hoped for the best. I don't know if the set screw allen stripped or the SS Collar thread is stripped (tried with a flashlight but I couldn't see it). I did run the boat the next day and didn't have any signs of water spray like before. I did have a very small amount of water but it did rain that night and I may not have gotten it all out before testing. I go back in few weeks and will have someone drive while watch.

Question: If it does leak a small amount and it can last the summer I plan on going back into it and replace it. Is this is a novice DIY job or does it require a experienced mechanic to make sure proper alignment shaft to the v-drive? Also, how much "play" should there be between the carbon flange and the drive shaft? It appears that there is just four bolts to remove the drive shaft coupling flange. I didn't look into how to remove the shaft from the flange but manual shows two clamping bolts and a set screw. I am fairly mechanically inclined but I don't want to risk damage my v-drive. A friend of mine had to recently spend $3800 on a new v-drive for his 24Ve.

Thanks for the help and any input.

Comment

I would think you have the skils already. You should be able to handle it easily. I don't think there are any re-alignment issues, but other will chime in.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Could you not replace the first set screw with one that is longer?

Comment

I actually never thought of that and don't see why not. I will try that and find a shorter locking screw so the total length is the same.

I did email Tige yesterday and they responded in minutes. For 05 tige 22v the PSS dripless shaft seal is part number 01-118-134. I called PYI direct and the retail price is $280.

Comment

This just happened to me last weekend, I marked it and compressed it 3/4" for where the collar was since the collar was barely touching the boot. I will test this out next trip and keep my tools handy for adjustments as needed. First trip with the new boat and already this, and found out my bilge pump doesn't work. ugh boat life.
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

I just read your other thread giving more detail. Wow that is a horrible way to start the season. Definitely get the bilge pump going first. I am seriously considering adding a second one for the low spot in our boats between tranny and v-drive. I will pipe it to the gas tank vent and move vent towards front so not to get water in gas when surfing.
                Before the shaft issue I never got a drop of water in the bilge. I hear guys talk about their seal leaking a little but I never had this. The PSS instructions do say that the seal can be compressed more than what they recommend if still leaks after the 3/4" adjustment. I know mine was very tight when I went to 3/4". I actually had to have someone hold the collar in place while I tightened the set screws. I am going to check mine again tomorrow night and maybe adjust again. I know I have a stripped set screw or collar. If still leaks a little I am going to let it limp through the summer and replace it this fall. It's cheap (in boating terms) and easy enough to replace. I did talk with another tige forum guy and he replaced his and the hardest part was getting the coupling flange separated from the shaft. If never been removed since day1 then it could need some hammer persuasion. May have to add a heat gun. Good luck

Comment

O am glad I brought mine in to get done.. Minus the 900 dollar labor bill... My boat was operated in salt water so that may have been why the prop shaft was so difficult to get out they said. Had to end up removing my V-drive though and hammer the shaft out from the back side as pulling it from underneath the boat resulted in breaking his slide hammer.. Either way I should be good for at least 6 years now... I just didn't want to risk it considering surfing adds so much stress to the boat with all the extra load from ballast. TheGerman618 and I experienced the same thing on my boat back at the Lake Mead Tige Owners Reunion... Sorry he has to go through it but at least he knows about it... we were clueless before but now between the 3 of us we can all share the misery equally... and the knowledge.. haha

Comment

Well I am headed out this weekend, thanks for the reply. I will repost the results, definitely gonna fix the bilge pump as soon as I can figure out how to get to it easily, my arm is about 4in. to short. I don't mind a little drip while running around, but the fire hose amount that was coming in wont work.
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

To pile on...we were out yesterday and noticed the bilge pump coming on frequently. As this forum is awesome for info, I remembered this thread. Pulled the side bulkheads and ran it at speed but couldn't really get a good look at my PSS. In the garage today, pulled the rear cockpit seat to get a better look. I can definitely compress the bellows a bit without much effort. I'm going to loosen up the collar, set the compression and tighten it back up. I do notice, however, that mine does not have a vent tube. Is that a "newer" configuration? Should mine have one? Where is this vent plumbed to? I also note that the PSS pamphlet the dealer provided says that as a PM the PSS should be replaced no less than every 6 years. I'm thinking I'll add to the to-do list for the winter. Thanks!

Comment

Gzerox5 - be sure to get new set-screws as they are one time use. Also rotate your shaft a quarter turn so to have fresh shaft to set too. I had to use a buddy to hold the collar in place while I tightened that first one (6 foot lbs of torque). 1/4 torque wrench fits but it's slow going.

Comment

Lake test today was a success, I talked to my local dealer and he gave me some basic knowledge to pass on.
                          "Decompress the bellow completely, move the collar so that it is just touching the bellow. Mark the shaft with marker, then compress 3/8". If it's still leaks, compress 1/8" till leaking stops. HOWEVER, if you get to 2" of compression then the graphite washer is cracked and the PSS needs to be refurbished". Hope this helps, it doesn't take to much force on the bellow to keep it from leaking. The 3/8" was plenty and no drips.

Comment

Did a full replacement of my PSS this week on my 24ve. Getting ready for 90+ degrees this weekend to test out my work. Hopefully no leaks. I got the maintenance kit directly from PYIINC for around $80, which includes the bellows, hose clamps, new O-rings and setscrews. You reuse your carbon piece and stainless collar. It was a bit of a pain to get the shaft coupler off, but the entire job wasn't really all that hard.

Comment

I'm working on this right now. The bellows were very loose so I know that is the problem, however should the two hose clamps be tightened enough to be tight on the shaft? I bet I have a quarter inch of play in the end of the bellows and the shaft. Not sure if I should tighten those two hose clamps so it's tight on the shaft????
                              Last edited by WYTige?; 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM.
                              "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Working...
                              X