Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 2100v limited edition restoration.

hi guys,
    i am new to the forum and i got into a 2000 2100v project that keeps getting bigger and bigger.
    in short i bought the boat with a rusted out engine due to salt water contamination, my in-law is doing all the upholstery, i am a automotive mechanic so the engine and electrical is mine to deal with.
    the issue i am having is getting info on what the marine shops do to the "service engine block" they buy from GM. i guess what i am looking for would be some direction as to what i need to salvage from the 2 marine 5.7L engines i have as far as internal components. i have the heads and camshaft and all other components.
    do any of you guys know what the difference is other than the camshaft? what i understand is the starter,alternator,intake,oil pan and throttle body are marine but i was also told the "marine" part of some parts is the rust proof paint.
    if anyone can shed some light that would be much appreciated, i am also in canada so its proving to find people that are familiar with tigé.

Man... Some high end mechanic stuff I wouldn't even begin to try to answer with nothing other that a "best of luck" because I honestly haven't a clue. Hope somebody can help you out! Sounds like quite the project!

Comment

You need the old cam, starter and alternator. Starter and alternator are sealed to stop a spark from escaping and blowing your boat up. The casting plugs are brass instead of steel, water pump is different also, has stainless parts inside. Marine Intake will not have the emission ports on it.

Comment

I'm new to Tige, but I've rebuilt a few marine engines for other I/O's that I've had. Coming from a racing background, I learned the hard way to pay attention to matching parts correctly. When I rebuilt a 4.3L, I used a generic block with vortec heads, roller cam, etc., and reused the marine intake, carb, ignition and distributor. Didn't think about the mismatch between the hardened cam and the distributor gear. It only lasted about 15 minutes under load and I got to rebuild the motor again to fish out gear fragments.

The engines are usually normal blocks; like lee said, you want brass freeze plugs, not steel. If you do the research on the cams, they are usually pretty close in profile to truck/RV cams. If you are bringing everything over, though, you won't have to worry about the subtle differences like emissions porting, push rod clearance, etc.

Short block is fairly universal, long block starts to have differences, fuel/air/spark all need to be marine specific to do it right, at least from everything I've read and seen so far.

Comment

this forum or member might be able to help out as he did a nice resto on his boat. Good luck and post your findings

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=saltwater

Comment

Carb or EFI? Two different cams. Heads need to have casting numbers ending in 903, pan needs to be marine 5 quart, head gaskets must be marine, circulation pump mercruiser or aftermarket replacement, get a replacement alternator but marine only, starter top mount or block mount must be marine 163 tooth model, distributor will be mercruiser proprietary thunderbolt V (replace the ignition sensor if it only has two wires, white with red and white with green, if it also has a black wire, it's already been done) and not replaceable on the efi model but is replaceable with the carb, intake manifold must be kept and check the aft cylinder head water connections for excessive wear, they're supposed to be bronze lined water passages but not all are, replace thermostat and check housing for corrosion and wear, replace the timing cover with new.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

thanks for all the input,
              I matched the numbers on the block castings and found a great knowledgeable guy in Salmon Arm B.C(Canada) that has been rebuilding marine engines for years. 2400 CND to rebuild the block all to marine specs, and I reused the fuel injected intake and the GREAT news......I started the boat last weekend, yeppy!I was so excited I had to sit down for a few minutes.. I started another thread cause i'm new at this and didn't even remember my password(sorry) anyways boat sounds great and I will be taking it out to the pond near where I live to do a float test and see how it performs in the water, hopefully on top of the water not under!
              I have pictures up on the other thread, its under general discussion/2000 21v project.

thanks for all the info again guys, wish me luck

Comment

Working...
              X