Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a 2008 22Ve - what all do I need to carefully inspect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a 2008 22Ve - what all do I need to carefully inspect?

Hey guys,

I'm finally in the position to purchase my first Tige - and have found that a friend of a friend is selling their 2008 22Ve with approx 300 hours on the MarinePower 5.7 liter 340hp motor - all in a fresh water lake and serviced regularly. 2350lb of plumbed fat sac ballast. Pictures have this boat looking like it's still on the showroom floor. We are trying to get our calendars to sync up for a F2F meeting & water test.

So I thought I'd use this time to ask the group what all I need to pay special attn to / specifically inspect when I look at it and complete the water test? Any known issues with this year/model? Also - anything specific to inspect with the boatmate trailer?

Appreciate your help and insight.

Thanks,
    Chris

here are some items!

1. if oil bath hubs. check the back of axle make sure no leakage for your drive home and other wise
    2. gel coat. look under the boat take an LED light.. verify not to many impacts or damage ext....
    3. bunks ... good condition
    4. bilge. look for signs of oil leaks ext.
    5. ask when last oil change, impeller change, tranny, and if vdrive fluid has been changed.

what your worried about are things you cannot see. sounds like cosmetically she is sound.
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Couple of additional things from gcombe list:

You can check the oil for color and smell.
      If it has been maintained ask for the records (still don't trust them 100% I have seen where things were supposed to be done that weren't)
      Ask about the impeller, last changed
      Battery age
      Tire age on the trailer, many recommend that trailer, all trailers, be changed every 4 years regardless of wear
      Check Speedset - there have been several that it has gone bad. IIRC its about $1500 plus to replace
      Steering should be able to move with with one finger, if not it might need to be replaced
      Check the prop and rudder
      Test all devices on the boat. i.e. stereo, lights, heater, shower, horn, cruise, bilge, etc... Its the little things that will add up and might be hard to replace

Comment

Thanks guys! You have provided additional items that I had not thought of previously. Appreciate the help.

Let me know if you think of anything else over the next 2 weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
        X