22VE motor 1/2 under water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22VE motor 1/2 under water

Hi- I need some help from the experts- After 20 years of boating I finally forgot to put in the plug yesterday for a day on the lake.. When we stopped for lunch it began to fill up and by the time we noticed the batteries were under water and the motor was 1/2 covered...it started...and we ran it until the water was out but I know there is going to be electrical and transmission issues... what should I do next..?

Thanks- The Idiot

Was the starter under water? If so then it will not work next time. Replace the batteries if they start to show signs of corrosion on the terminal posts. Alternator is the only other thing to worry about if it got under water but everything else has waterproof connections. If the vent cap on the v-drive was under water, you'll need to flush the v-drive a few times with new oil. Same for the transmission. Really shouldn't be an issue and because it was fresh water you're not going to get any corrosion. Keep us posted.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

thanks for the info...feeling a little better...I figured the starter, batteries and alternator were toast...but the voltmeter did go from about 2 to 13 -14 by the time the water was mostly out...so I though maybe it might be ok. I will get the trany and V-drive worked on for sure

Comment

You don't need to get the transmission and v-drive worked on - do it yourself. As recommended by boatwakes, replace the fluid in both a few times, running the drivetrain for a few minutes between each change to circulate things and find any water hiding in internal nooks and crannies. On the last change, examine the extracted fluid carefully for signs of water. If none, you're good to go!

Take a fluid extractor and enough of each fluid to do the job with you to the lake. You can be done in a couple of hours, saving you time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          Really shouldn't be an issue and because it was fresh water you're not going to get any corrosion. Keep us posted.
          Depending on the body of water and the minerals in the water corrosion can happen to the wires. From what I have been told it may not be something that shows up quick but would be something over time. My brother had to have all of his wiring redone, something similar to what you had.

Comment

Thanks additional info. I broke down and called my insurance company- Progressive- they said it is all covered and I lucked out with a $0 deductible...so far so good...I do worry about having nagging electrical issues in the future

Comment

If it's all covered, have the electrical replaced NOW as part of the settlement so you don't have to worry.

Comment

Working...
              X