Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 21V issues? Looking for a used boat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 21V issues? Looking for a used boat...

Going to look at an older 21V (2001). Are there any issues specific to this model I should be aware of? What is difference between the different 'editions'? Is that something I can dig up on this site?

When I bought our used Yamaha I had a pretty good handle on the 'issues' with that boat. Things like re-running of water lines, what bolts need to be tightened, etc. That gave me a good idea of how well the previous owner had taken care of it.
    Is there a similar list of things to look for on the Tige? I have been lurking through these groups for a bit, but I need to look at the boat soon before it gets pulled out of the water for the winter. Of course I will have a good marina check it out (including compression, drive shaft alignment, etc).

One other question... this is a fresh water boat. I will be using it in brackish water. I have been dealing with boats in brackish water for many, many years. I know how to maintain them and keep things working and looking good, I am not to worried about that. But how much of a hit will the boat value take once I use it in the brackish water (it will be pulled out and washed/flushed every weekend)? Does it matter much when a boat is over 10 years old?

Thanks for your thoughts,

-jhillard-

I have an 01 21v. Bought it new, besides maintenance, I've replaced the steering cable, and the Taps gauge just went out on me. The main problem with them is the tower, if it is the original Metcalf tower then you will want to replace it. My dealer actually warranteed mine and replaced it with a Wake Air tower.My boat is a Riders Edition with Limited interior and Millenium dash. If I remember correctly, they offered a 'Limited Edition' , 'Riders Edition' , 'Fox Edition' , and 'Millenium Edition' . Graphics and interior design are the differences. I think that the 'Millenium' was just a brushed dash package.

Comment

Long as someone has treated it well should make you a good boat. Far as the water goes IMO long as you take care in making sure that nothing corrodes any faster than it should, it wont make that much difference in the price. Now if it corrodes or fades gel coat, then you will have more of an issue. Maintenance is the key to any boat, but especially when dealing with one thats in saltwater.

Post up some pics if you get it. Oh check the shaft seal going thru hull for leaks. Easy fix if it is leaking but gives you some wiggle room on the $

Comment

The biggest issue with the water will be the gelcoat below the waterline and electrolysis, if you don't prep the boat correctly and put bottom paint on it you will get small organisms burrowing into the gelcoat and that will eventually ruin the bottom. Even if you pull the boat out every week and pressure wash it you will still have this problem. My thoughts would be take it to a good shipyard, prep and paint the bottom correctly and have them install a transom zinc and bonding system for the rudder and the skegs. Put a zinc on the taps plate and then be sure to put an 1 1/8" zinc on the prop shaft to save it too. Don't buy the boat if you're worried about resale. It's disposable income and it will NOT hold any value over time anyway. If you want it, get it and make it yours and do it correctly or you'll end up paying way more in the long run. Good luck
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          Don't buy the boat if you're worried about resale. It's disposable income and it will NOT hold any value over time anyway. If you want it, get it and make it yours and do it correctly or you'll end up paying way more in the long run. Good luck
          Very good point!

Comment

This site has many folks that seem helpful and knowledgable about many different boats, not just the Tige's. Can anyone offer a compare/contrast of some other boats I see in our price range (25k)against our criteria? There is an MC X10 and X30, Centurion Avalanche and Centurion, and some Malibu Wakesetters in the same range. For us, the important things are...

a) It will be kept in a brackish environment. There is no way around that. We are located at the mouth of the Potomac River (where it hits the Chesapeake). We have had a Yamaha for 6 years in this environment, and it looks and runs like new. I have a pretty good idea of what is needed as far as upkeep in this water. Lots of flushing, lots of washing!

b) It needs to be able to handle chop (not just other boat wakes). We have protected places to ride, but will have to deal with chop on many days getting there and back.
            c) The primary use will be for boarding, and surfing. Skiing is a very minor concern. We can always use our Yamaha for that if needed.

d) So that I can get a turn behind the boat, it needs to be easy to drive. Our Yamaha with twin jets is a PITA to drive slow enough for a half decent wake. Hence my push to get a V-Drive for boarding.

With brackish water + chop + boarding/surfing + easy to drive. Does that still equal the Tige? Is there something in our criteria that the Tige excels at? Something it falls behind in?

Everything seems to be pointing towards the Tige. Should I seriously pursue the other boats as well? When all the options are added in (Tower, Ballast, PP, galvanized/aluminum trailer), I think all the boats I have seen will be in the same price range.

Nobody in our area has an inboard. Everything is outboard or I/O as most people only fish or tube. So I have nothing to really compare inboards against. I went out on a limb when I bought our Yamaha SX230 6 years ago, and it has worked out great (until now when we are getting into boarding and surfing). I hope this decision works out as well!

Comment

The Tige and Centurion will handle chop the best. They are deep V hulls which help cut through the chop. The Malibu's and MC's are flat bottom hulls and you will get worked over in chop.

Comment

Mostly true. The MC X30 is actually a pretty deepV. We looked at an 04 and it's a deep V all the way thru. Because of that MC thought it would be OK to not add any tracking fins. Have been told they ride really good but can be a bit sluggish steering because of the lack of tracking fins. Still better than an I/o for sure.

Comment

Brother in law had an x30 and could not believe how much better the Tige was in rough water, even one smaller. The newer boats have more flash, but the Tige hulls are tanks. Quite by accident, the surf wave is excellent and they are pleasurable and simple to drive...except in reverse. That part you will learn. Bu hulls are not nearly as heavily built. MC and Bu might have a little nicer interiors on a boat of that age, but they are not better boats in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X