V-Drive vs. Transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-Drive vs. Transmission fluid

Hi all, my 2013 Z3 is on order, but I was out on a 2012 Z3 yesterday and we couldn't located the V-drive fluid dipstick. We found the transmission fluid dipstick though. In previous V-drives that I've had, the V-drive held 30wt oil and the transmission held ATF. Is that the case with Tiges, or is the V-drive/transmission all one unit with one reservoir? Sorry if this is a stupid question
    2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

I had the same confusion when I first encountered the PCM drivetrain setup. They do run separate lubrication, i.e. they do NOT share a reservoir.

The PCM v-drive (toward the front of the boat) does not have a dipstick. Indeed, according to the PCM manuals its fluid is not intended to be changed unless it shows contamination. There are two square-headed plugs, one on each side, through which you can vacuum out and refill the fluid if that ever becomes necessary.

The PCM transmission does have a dipstick, and that's the same hole through which you vacuum and refill the Dexron III fluid. Once at 25 hours, and then every 100 hours or annually thereafter (instructions are on the tranny's plate and in the manuals).

If you run heavy ballast, it's a good idea to change it more frequently. I change mine every 50 hours, along with the engine oil and filter.

Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family! Post pics when it arrives. Are you getting the in-factory shots of its assembly? Lots of folks here have done that and we really enjoy watching the show.

Comment

WA, thanks for the response. How do you check for contamination or fluid level, is it considered full as long as the fluid is at the level of the plug hole, similar to checking differential fluid in a car or truck? I'd rather have a dipstick, but I guess we can't do anything about it. Thanks again for the response.

Comment

"Bottom of the fill hole threads" is how I remember them expressing it. Yes, just like other reservoirs of this type.

I check it for contamination by dipping a freshly cleaned small screwdriver shaft in the hole, then looking carefully at the residue on the shaft. You can use a Q-tip for color testing, too.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
          "Bottom of the fill hole threads" is how I remember them expressing it. Yes, just like other reservoirs of this type.

I check it for contamination by dipping a freshly cleaned small screwdriver shaft in the hole, then looking carefully at the residue on the shaft. You can use a Q-tip for color testing, too.
          Thank you! I finally found a manual for PCM that states exactly what you said.

Comment

Working...
          X