Engine/compartment covers plywood ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine/compartment covers plywood ?

I'm repairing our engine cover hinge mounts because the screws pulled out of one side.
    I'm seeing brown wood shavings when pilot drilling new screw holes.
    I expected to see gray marine board.
    Has anyone taken the compartment panels apart for reupholstering and knows if the board inside is plywood or marine board?
    I'm guessing since the floorboard over the fuel tank is plywood (for strength) that marine board is also not strong enough for the compartment covers.
    This started because one of the 4 rubber bumpers fell out of the engine cover and only the hinge assy was supporting that corner.
    When I get the engine cover hinge repaired I'm going to mount a carpeted block of wood on angle aluminum along the rear edge of the cover for better support.

They are plywood

I had to do some repair on mine as well.. Mine is a 2000, I drilled and glued new Oak dowels into where the screws go to make the repair.

Comment

They are wood with the center fiberglass section glued to it. I found the best way to repair this by drilling out the screw holes with a half inch or so bit, pouring in Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. It will absorb into the wood and make it very strong, then mixing sawdust with an epoxy resin that is designed to bond with the penetrating resin. Re-drill your holes and it will be much stronger than gray marine board.

I just finished doing this and took pictures to do a write up, I need to find some time to post.

But here is a link to the products that I used:

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

Comment

This is great info, fellas. I'm facing the same repair. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Finished the engine cover hinge repair so here is a pic.
          The hinges are bolted to the larger plates and the plates are attached with 6 screws vs the original 4.
          I pilot drilled the holes and filled them with polyurethane.
          The rear is supported by a carpeted block of marine board screwed to the angle aluminum from the bottom.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Looks to be well thought out and effective towards preventing further issues.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X