20V vs the 22V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20V vs the 22V

My husband and I are new to wakeboarding, but have already decided that we love it and need a bigger, better boat. We have narrowed it down to the Tige. Normally we have 4 to 5 adults in the boat. My husband is already jumping the wake of our deck boat now. He wants something he can do some nice jumps and tricks with. Price is a issue but do you experts out there think the 20v would be suitable for us, or should go for the 22V. The price difference is about $10,000.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Formertigeowners.com
    I used to be a member in the past.

I have a Switch –V
    It’s the same thing as the 20 V.
    Most of the time when we go out there is 6 or 7 of us.
    There is my three kids (15,15,14), my Wife and I. Plus 1 or two other kids that we seam to pick up. The boat has plenty of room. We bring 8-ski vest, 4-wakeboards, cost guard kit, a set of skies, towing tubes, and bunch of other junk (it all fits inside the lockers)

I also like that the 20V gets much better gas usage. I get about 4.5 gallons per hour, and I think the 22 is more like 7 gallons per hour. (We have the Marine power 340hp engine)
    When we go to the lake, we are there for about 10 hours, and we end up putting about 6 hours on the boat. That works out to about 28 gallons of gas, if I had the 22 it would be about 42 gallons instead.

Also we go to Lake Mohave a lot, and most of their slips are for a 20-foot boat. (The 22 will be a littler harder to find a slip to dock in)

Now I must say that the 22V will give you a better wake, but the 20 fits better in the garage.

In case you cant tell I really like my Switch / 20V
    David
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Great information. We get excellent gas mileage on the boat we have now, so that is a great point. We also are concerned about it fitting well into our garage.
      Thanks a bunch.
      Formertigeowners.com
      I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

We just got our 22V. Works great for our family of 5. Tons of storage everywhere. Great out of the hole when towing people. We have the 340 HP. It plows straight through chop. Tiges are great boats period and truely overbuilt. My canvas guy said he has to buy titanium drill bits for the tige's that he works on because of the thick hull.

I love the handling this was our first boat/inboard. I love the fact you can go 30 mph lock the wheel either way and it just digs in(havent tried it any faster, Ill let the dealer do that).
        Everything happens for a reason
        I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

The size of the motor also determins the GPH. (gallons per hour) If you use a bigger motor (more horse power) the easier it is for the motor to move the boat threw the water. The less HP the motor has the harder it has to work to propell the boat threw the water, even more so towing, thus, a motor with less HP with strain on it, the worst HPG you will have. The 20V will be more than adiquite with a 340hp motor. You will have more than anough wake.
          ScottyB

Comment

I got a chance to check out the '06 20v at the local dealer. In my opinion, the 22v is a better finished boat. The interior on the 20v is more boxy (?) while the interior on the 22v is more curved and it just seemed to flow. The rear hatches (both storage and engine access hatches) were not finished at all on the 20v and they looked and felt very cheap and flimsy. The bow seats on the 20v are not the lounge style as tehy are on the 22v. The new dash on the 20v is very nice and it felt very big for a 20' boat, perfect for a regular crew of 6. This would be the perfect boat for me; I just can't get past those rear hatches...

Comment

I the dealer I got my 20V from the rear hatches were finished and not flimsey. Maybe it was not finished from the factory. I know that My dealer had to put on the hatch snaps to keep the hatches from flying open. Im sure that the dealer would finigh the hatches with carpet and make it a little more sturdy if that was the deciding factor on the purchase.

Zacky- When you say "better finished" your not refering to the qualiy are you? The curved design of the 22V and the boxy design of the 20V are purely design styles. The "finish quality" of the 20V vs the 22V are the same, vinyl, stitching carpet, etc. The only differance is obviously the size and interior style.

Both are breat boats hands down!

Carter13- you will love either boat no matter which one you choose.
              ScottyB

Comment

"Finish" was refering to fit and finish (and only applying it to the rear hatches). Nothing to do with the quality of the boat. Have you had a chance to check out both boats in person? There is a huge difference in the hatch quality. The 20v that I saw looked as though the underside of the hatch was finished with particle board, whereas th 22v, and all other v series boats were finished with a different material, they were more sturdy (didn't flex when you opened them) and they all had the storage nets on the underside...

Comment

If you have a deck boat now and go to a 20V it sounds like you are downsizing, how big is your deck boat??? I feel that bigger is better, you never want to buy a boat and wish you have gotten a bigger boat. Everyone I know would never complain that their boat is too big. I just hear I wish I had a bigger boat. Is that not the reason for looking to buy a new boat in the first place? I say get the 22V
                  Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Fitting in Garage

Our 22V will not fit in our garage. Not because of length, but because of the tower even when folded down. The blasted thing is too high by two inches to fit in the garage. So measure all aspects, with the boat on the trailer, before deciding if it will fit in your garage. If you want the 22V you may want to explore other tower options. If the tower supports are below the top of the side of the windshield, you may be OK for height.
                    Ray Thompson
                    2005 22V

Comment

There have been a few posts about this same topic in the past, here are a few.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=20v+vs+22v

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=20v+vs+22v

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=20V+vs+22V

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but Ray check out this link...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1136778235

This guy was having the same problem as you. He had a caster wheel welded to the tongue area of the trailer. It gave him that additional 2 inches of clearance and now his boat slips right into his garage...

Comment

Zacky....

That is a good idea. I may explore that next year.
                          Ray Thompson
                          2005 22V

Comment

How about the 22Ve?

Just for the sake of discussion...have you checked out the 22Ve yet? As was mentioned about the 22v, the interior flows nicely and you get a little more room out of the Ve inside than the straight V if it follows suit with the 24V and 24Ve.

We went from a deck boat to the 24Ve and are really enjoying it. We didn't want to downsize and really appreciate all the storage and space in the Ve series. Just another .02 for the discussion... wrangler

Comment

Working...
                            X