maintenance manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maintenance manual

I purchased a 2005 Tige 24V with a Marine Power 5.7L engine. My manual has the horepower listed as 225-235hp. It was sold as a 340 hp. Which one is it? There is no oil filter size listed for replacement. In one sentence it says not to use muli viscosity oil, yet in another sentence it says that 20-50 is o.k. The recommended single viscosity oil and the graphs do not match for the temperature ranges. There is no torque value for the engine. Does anyone have a manual that does not have these discrepancies? I see this as a q.c. problem. What model engine is it par pak, en pak, sport pak? When I called Marine Power their response was the manual is not the greatest. Sad response. I asked them to provide me with one that matches their product. Wrote them two months ago and still no response. Does TIGE have a manual that matches the engine product they sold?

Marine Power builds several versions of the 5.7 engine. These different 5.7 configurations produce varying amounts of hp and torque. The Tige 340 is 340 hp. To my knowledge non of the marine engine builders release cross-over numbers for their oil filters. Your Tige dealer is your best source for a new filter. Regarding oil viscosity, MP recommends single viscosity oil for heavy duty applications.
    Routine skiboat use is not considered heavy duty use; therefore, multiviscosity oils should be fine. Your skiboat engine is in Marine Power's Sportpac catagory. You bring up good points about the manual. Anytime a single manual is used to cover a variety of engine applications there is bound to be some confusion. Perhaps MP needs to produce a skiboat engine manual only for Tige's use.

Comment

motor man
      Thanks for the response. I don't quite agree with your response because cars have a number of engine sizes and ratings and all of them are listed in one general manual in tables with sizes and appropriate ratings, etc. So I think this would have been very easy to do in this case also. I intend to use single viscosity 30W. I found out the oil filter type ... its a pf30. If anyone wants they can now cross reference this if they are doing their own oil changes. Thanks for letting me know that the engine is a sport pak. I figured as much but was not sure.

Comment

motor man,
        Could you let me know where where the fuel/water separator filter is located. I cannot find it anywhere on the engine. I looked in the manual and it does not say where, but it did give a picture of one. Your help would be appreciated on this.

Comment

motor man
          I figured it out. Its the G Force Fuel unit which is an option. There is a section in the book that describes it, however, its a bit confusing when you go further in the manual where they have the drawings. Drawings are given of one unit but not of the other! No part number for replacement is given like they do for the other unit. Does anyone know what the part number is??? Also it appears like a bit more work and time to remove and replace filter for the G Force compared to just taking a filter wrench for the other design.

Comment

Sorry, I found the part number. My fault did not read the entire script!!!!

Comment

G-force pump

Certainly the G-force filter is harder to remove and replace. On the positive side the G-force pump is much more robust than the orginal FM pump used with the screw on water-separator filter. Here's to durability!

Comment

I was reading the manual provided with the 2005 boats. The manual states that ethanol or methanol type gasolines are not recommended and that adverse effects such as, but not limited to corrosion, excessive wear to internal parts or damage to flexable fuel lines are possible. California has alcohol fuels and has had these for over a year maybe closer to two years now. What changes did Marine Power make to the 2005 or 2006 engine if any so that the above does not happen? Has anyone started to have problems and if so what type? If problems start to occur how long does it take? The statement provided by Marine Power gives them an exist on any problem that may come up with the engine since Calif has alcohol fuels. Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

Gman,

I have an investment in an ethanol plant here in Colorado, so when I ordered my boat, I had my dealer call marine power and ask if they had a conversion to allow it to run on E85 (85% ethanol 15% gasoline). They did not, but it is my understanding that the E10 or 10% ethanol blend that you get in CA is fine to run in that motor. Most of the gas in our area is E10 because we live in the middle of farming country. Can anyone tell I might be biased toward ethanol???

Just to be sure, have your dealer call marine power directly, or call them yourself.

Check out the following web sites for more information on ethanol:

http://www.ethanol.org/

http://www.ethanol.org/e10.html

http://www.ethanol.org/warrantystatements.html

Here is a clip from the site... Up to a ten-percent blend of ethanol is covered under warranty by every auto manufacturer that sells vehicles in the U.S. (listed below) for every make and every model of vehicle.

Many of these manufacturers recommend ethanol’s use because of its clean-burning and high-octane characteristics.

BMW
                  DaimlerChrysler
                  Ferrari
                  Ford
                  General Motors
                  Honda / Acura
                  Hyundai

Brian

Comment

I should add just to be clear that every manufacturer was listed as allowing E10 under their warranty, I just wanted to save some space in the post.

Comment

Are you wondering how many times I can reply to my own post? I should have read further. Here are the boats listed on the ethanol.org site...

Boats & Personal Watercraft
                      Warranty statements of the boat manufacturers listed below approve of the use of ten-percent ethanol blends in their inboard or outboard motors.

Bombardier
                      Honda
                      Indmar Marine
                      Mercury Marine
                      Nissan
                      Evinrude, Johnson
                      Pleasurecraft
                      Suzuki
                      Yamaha

Comment

bneub,
                        Thanks for the info. I looked up the web sites you provided and Marine Power is missing. The statement in the manual is quite clear, and they still have an out for anything that goes wrong. Just be aware they can use that statement since its in black and white and nothing contrary to date has been pubslished by them.....I'll contact them and see what kind of response they have.

Comment

Let me know what they say. I can find fuel without ethanol if that is a problem, but I bet you can't in CA. I understand that it is mandatory there.

Andrew if you are keeping up on this thread, could you give us your input?

Comment

I have talked to Marine Power and yes the engine is covered and we understand that ethanol is being put into our fuels and this is regulated by the government. Both Marine Power and Tige feels that our warranty and Customer Service provided to our customers are unsurpassed and we do back our product 100%. I hope this answers everyone's questions. If there are any further please let me know.

Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

That is awesome. Thanks for checking! It does make you a little nervous when your manual says "no ethanol", so I am glad to see that the 10% is fine.

One of the reasons we chose Tige was for the reputation. The product quality, corporate service, and all of the positive comments we heard about our dealer, Waterski Specialty, in Denver. I still can't say enough good things about them!

When I started researching boats, I was convinced that I wanted a Mastercraft or Malibu. I was going to settle for a 2 year old boat to get into my price range.

After driving and skiing Malibu, Mastercraft, Centurion, and Tige, there is no question in my mind that Tige was the right decision for my family. Since we were looking for awesome ski wakes, we wanted to stay with the smaller boat. I feel that the 2006 20i blows away the other similar sized boats when you look at the whole package! I feel the Tige wakes were every bit as good as the others, the storage space is many times better, the interior more comfortable, and the overall construction stronger. The versatility is also better because you don't have to give up all of your storage to ballast tanks to get a decent wakeboard wake. All of this for thousands of dollars less!

Maybe I sacrificed a little bling, but bling doesn't get you through the course at the next shortest line length or help you land the next big air!

Thanks for always taking the time to help us out when we need something!

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X